Author Topic: Dipuraja's Lamb Madras  (Read 27899 times)

Offline lagathy

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Lamb Madras
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2010, 01:45 AM »
i agree with Mikka,
    any video like this has got to be a bonus..the guy obviously wants to share his knowledge(depsite his slightly off putting demeanour :P ) AND clearly will respond to questions.comments etc..
  i doubt he produces the kind of bir fare that would knock you for six,but with a bit of luck he'll show more tips/tricks..
  dont know if anyone lives near Penrith?...only time ive ever seen it is on withnail and i,and that was in ms BlatherHatchet's tea room  ;D (for those that have seen the film  )

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2010, 09:23 AM »
FYI:

Re:G/G Paste and base
ABOUT GARLIC AND GINGAR I MAKE IT ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS BLEND THE GARLIC AND GINGER WITH SOME OIL AND WATER RAW.I HAVE MY OWN TAKE AWAY IT CALL DIAL-A-CURRY THANK YOU FOR YOUR MASSAGE I WILL UPLOAD MORE DISHES SOON.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2010, 12:08 PM »
Posted by Mikka in another thread and moved to here by CA

have some delicious precooked beef and will be doing the madras later. Will let you know. 
Oh. He's probably inundated with people asking things? That's why I've just commented on what he's doing here and there. Would be nice though but I expect he's had other offers too.

Following post by Mikka on the topic moved to here by CA

Well I cooked it exactly to spec with a modified KD1 base which basically means an EXTRA GREEN PEPPER.

Pretty darned good, you do have to watch the garam masala but the whole thing took me 5.5 minutes to complete with prep. The main thing for me missing in this was my G Cardamom and just a tinge of cinnamon. Great meal amplified by some beef you just wouldn't know from any other red meat.

So 
Did anyone else bother? 

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2010, 06:35 PM »
there's not enough smoke in the place for me. i saw a "UB" pic on my travels of the extract attached to my garage - i'll try and take a photo.

as u can see i've had to mod my garage a fair bit.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2010, 04:51 AM »
I have to say that Dipuraja's method (i.e. lob it all into a pot with cold oil and heat) makes a bit of a mockery of those who feel that 'the secret" lies in "the technique"  :P

This is why I was particularly interested to see his curry base recipe.  But that doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary either...unless he really does reduce all the veggies without adding any water (which I find that hard to believe).

As with Malik and East Tandoori, I feel that someone really needs to go and try his curries before we get too enthusiastic and hung up about them and his recipes.... :-\

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2010, 12:01 PM »
@ Cory
Ah yes. On this I did think about it. You only get 10 mins airplay on YouTube (Unless someone knows different?). So I naturally assumed he had a hot pan (Normally) which is what I did but no way near how hot I usually have it. I'm one of those for which the court is directly out on this. I'm more concerned like you about what is in everything?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2010, 12:55 PM »
Ah yes. On this I did think about it. You only get 10 mins airplay on YouTube (Unless someone knows different?).

I don't know if you only get 10 mins Mikka.  Nevertheless, his madras recipe is less than 4 mins long and his curry base recipe is only about 2 mins long.  I can't think why he would show us something that he doesn't actually do (like just lob it all in to a pan with cold oil)?

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2010, 01:08 PM »
Neither do I Cory?
However like I've said before its not as easy as standing there cooking when the camera is on. It doesn't really bother me that much to be frank and the videos are clearly out of hours too.

I take it that again I'm the only one who has actually tried this? Yah know you could just make the sauce? Still waiting for other folks vids too  ;)

I don't know if you only get 10 mins Mikka.  Nevertheless, his madras recipe is less than 4 mins long and his curry base recipe is only about 2 mins long.  I can't think why he would show us something that he doesn't actually do (like just lob it all in to a pan with cold oil)?

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2010, 01:43 PM »
When I had a curry cooking demo at the local BIR most of the ingredients were added to a cold pan. I didn't think a lot of it at the time. I have to assume either method works and as CA said - the missing link lies elsewhere.

Maybe once we finish cooking the curry we should either leave it under hot lamps for 10 minutes, or put it into metal takeaway containers and drive them around for 10 minutes.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2010, 01:48 PM »
Which is exactly what I've been saying since I started doing this.
I'm more concerned like you about what is in everything?
(A Few posts above).

Most of what I've eaten when compared to the real thing is frankly.......... well.......... tepid by nature. I'm a lot nearer now that I've strayed away from the REGULAR recipes. Simple stuff really. If I don't put sugar in my tea it isn't sweet. Same applies to Indian food, at least I think so though others appear to distinctly disagree.

When I had a curry cooking demo at the local BIR most of the ingredients were added to a cold pan. I didn't think a lot of it at the time. I have to assume either method works and as CA said - the missing link lies elsewhere.

Maybe once we finish cooking the curry we should either leave it under hot lamps for 10 minutes, or put it into metal takeaway containers and drive them around for 10 minutes.

©2024 Curry Recipes