Author Topic: Dipuraja's Lamb Madras  (Read 27767 times)

Offline www.currynationuk.co.uk

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Lamb Madras
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2010, 12:57 PM »
going to try making this one tonight.  will let you know how i get on

Offline www.currynationuk.co.uk

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2010, 08:57 AM »
well i tried it and it was top notch!!  stomachs a bit off now though haha 8)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2010, 08:32 PM »
i have just made this to spec, using razors base and its really nice ! you should all defo try it, all cold into the pan also , i used chicken instead of lamb

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2010, 05:06 PM »
Just watched that Video, and I'm sorry but that does not look anything like a Madras to me. I don't know where you all come from and what you are used to, but.............

I said the same about his bhuna too, haven't paid any attention to much of his stuff after that.

This is not quality BIR.............

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2010, 06:28 PM »
that does not look anything like a Madras to me...I said the same about his bhuna too...This is not quality BIR.............

I'm with you 100% on that 976bar. I really think the state of BIRs nationwide is declining rapidly if people think this is how it should be. BIR R.I.P!  :'(

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2010, 07:07 PM »
Hi Santa,

On Tuesday this week I made one of CA's Tarka Dhals. I went out with my friend to my favourite BIR that evening and took a take away container with me. I asked the manager if he would heat it up and taste it with us, to which he did.

He said it was very nice but too spicy, more like the kind of thing they would put in a dansak. When I told him there was ketchup in it he laughed and said, we never ever use ketchup, and our tarka dhal is much less spicy than that, but did agree on the use of a whole bulb of garlic and some chilli powder.

We also got talking to him about BIR's in general and he said there is no money in it anymore, everyone is producing cheaper curries of far less quality than ever before and he went on to say that he doesn't think the BIR will be around in 10 years time, it will change completely.......

This is a very very good quality Indian restaurant. He also said that they don't use much base sauce but cook each dish fresh, and I can see that from the varied menu they have.

I'll try and scan in there menu over the weekend for everyone to see.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2010, 07:10 PM »
Oh, by the way this is not a slur on CA's Tarka Dhal. I and everyone else I have given it to thoroughly enjoy it!! :)

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2010, 02:09 PM »

We also got talking to him about BIR's in general and he said there is no money in it anymore, everyone is producing cheaper curries of far less quality than ever before and he went on to say that he doesn't think the BIR will be around in 10 years time, it will change completely.......

Agreed, most of the T/A's round have gone over to being kebab/fried chicken shops, those that still do curries try to survive by being ever cheaper, 4 curries 4 a tenner including delivery with a free 1.5 litre bottle of coke is the benchmark these days, and yes you do get what you pay for if you see what I mean.

Yuk
CoR

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2010, 03:20 PM »
i can guarantee BIR style and quality restaurants will still be around in 10 yrs time, its the nations fav food after fish and chips, and where i live in Glasgow we are spoilt for choice for quality restaurants that produce amazing curries . i am just back from pitlochry which is north of perth and they had 2 curry shops, i asked the staff what 1 was the best and so i ventured and had a sit in meal with my wife, lets just say i WONT b going back anytime soon as it was rotten . If you ever get the chance to come to Glasgow then you wont be dissapointed with the currys up here !

Garry

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2010, 07:11 PM »
i can guarantee BIR style and quality restaurants will still be around in 10 yrs time, its the nations fav food after fish and chips, and where i live in Glasgow we are spoilt for choice for quality restaurants that produce amazing curries . i am just back from pitlochry which is north of perth and they had 2 curry shops, i asked the staff what 1 was the best and so i ventured and had a sit in meal with my wife, lets just say i WONT b going back anytime soon as it was rotten . If you ever get the chance to come to Glasgow then you wont be dissapointed with the currys up here !

Garry

LOL Gazman. As it is the nations favourite dish, and I would argue that it may be more so than fish and chips these days, there will still be BIR restaurants around, but they will certainly not be quality as we know it today or even more so as we knew it back in the 70's and 80's........

Not sure how old you are, (maybe the 1976 gives us a clue?) but maybe you weren't of age when the good era of BIR was on the menu.......... :)

Annnnnd if there were only 2 "curry shops" which staff did you ask? the ones of the restaurant you ate in?  ::)

©2024 Curry Recipes