Author Topic: Dipuraja's Curry Base Gravy  (Read 60684 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Curry Base Gravy
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 08:35 AM »
I think he says to "boil the onion" (suggesting you need to add some water?) and then to add some more water to get the "right" consistency in the final blended base (if required).

You're right Haldi, it's ambiguous.  He doesn't say to add water to the onions initially.  His quantity of pre-prepared base seems to bear little resemblance to the quantity of veggies in his new pot (which might be explained if he doesn't add water initially)!

It's a pity he hasn't been more specific about the quantities of base ingredients.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 12:07 PM »
The similarity with this and the Maliks video are spot on. That pot too is brimming over the edge. Incidentally someone asked about that and what might have been in it? I'm thinking a celery root might be one candidate too.

That however is one heck of a pot to steam down to my mind.

I watched this a couple of times
I don't think he says water is an ingredient, except to thin the finished sauce
That's why the onion mix reduces down to almost nothing
The only water used is with the blended garlic ginger
Am I right, or have I missed something

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 05:45 PM »
I watched this a couple of times
I don't think he says water is an ingredient, except to thin the finished sauce
That's why the onion mix reduces down to almost nothing
The only water used is with the blended garlic ginger
Am I right, or have I missed something

You know Haldi, a couple of years ago I was talking to an old guy that used to own a takeaway in Huddersfield in the early 80's and he said not to add any water  - he said all the moisture should come from the onions and tomatoes and other ingredients, and only to add water if the curry was too thick and only then just enough for the consistency. I'd been asking him about the old style bases at the time and assumed his "add no water" comment was about the final dish, not the base itself...maybe I'd just gotten him wrong. He didn't give me a recipe though :(

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 11:47 PM »
I'm not sure if Dipuraja has recently edited it, but this is the text accompanying his video:

"To make base gravy you need onions, green peppers, 3 or 4 green chillies, a handful of corriander, 1 or 2 carrots, cooking oil, salt (1 teaspoon for the amount I have shown you) more would be required if making larger amount of gravy. 2 tablespoon of blended garlic and Ginger. Then add some water and boil for 30-35 minutes. After 35 minutes of Boiling the onions, add 2 tablespoons of mixed powder and half a tin of plum tomatoes. Cook for a further 10-15 minutes. Once you've done that leave to cool down. Then blend the gravy, water can be added to thin the gravy. Now you are ready to cook your curry. Can be frozen but only keeps for 2-3 days or loses the flavour"

So it seems that water IS added to the veggies in the initial stages of cooking.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 07:24 AM »
my method is not as stark as Dipuraja - i use a max water of 20% of the initial onion volume - works out at 300ml per 800g onion. this together with oil is enough to cause the onion to bed down so to speak. i then thin out with much more water after blending.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 11:52 PM »
He replied to me on my question about the G/G paste

What was your question and his reply please Chris?

Ah, OK found it thanks, I presume it's this:

"Re:G/G Paste and base
ABOUT GARLIC AND GINGAR I MAKE IT ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS BLEND THE GARLIC AND GINGER WITH SOME OIL AND WATER RAW.I HAVE MY OWN TAKE AWAY IT CALL DIAL-A-CURRY THANK YOU FOR YOUR MASSAGE I WILL UPLOAD MORE DISHES SOON"

Currying favours with massages eh Chris?  Nice move!  :P

Hahahahaha!!! ;D I've done worse!

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 08:44 AM »
I have to say I do like this guys honesty and openess :)

I will need to try this. I've just made his spice mix and am looking forward to trying that tomorrow too.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 03:20 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 01:50 PM »
i was going to make saffron next (following emin-j's recent posts on it) to try out Dipuraja's dish recipes but i guess to stay compliant given the increasing interest i'll have to make Dipuraja's base too. not that's it's a problem - i just feel i've probably made very similar before - all part of the learning though.

Offline Curry United

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 02:16 PM »
I like the look of this guys recipes, they look dead simple and straight forward

has anyone given this a go yet?

Regards

C. UTD

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 03:31 AM »
Dipuraja has kindly confirmed that he does add water to the veggies when boiling them:

"I HAVE RE-WROTE THE RECIPE HOPE THAT HELP.THANKS DIPURAJA.....

.....then add some water to cover all the vagetable on pan and boil for 30-35 minutes...."

I have updated his recipe accordingly.

©2024 Curry Recipes