Author Topic: Butter Tomato Sauce  (Read 2879 times)

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Butter Tomato Sauce
« on: August 24, 2005, 11:43 AM »
Here is the recipe as it appears in the Bombay Palace Cookbook!? My changes are in red but I wanted you all to have the original recipe.

2 pounds (1kg) tomatoes, pureed in blender (about 4 cups) - I use 1 box passata, 500g
1 6-ounce (180 gm) can tomato paste - this is referring to US paste (known as sauce here) - I use 2-3 TBLS of the tubed stuff
8 ounces (240m) butter - I use much less!? Few tablespoons and you may need to add more if it is too acidic still - unsalted butter please!
1 Tablespoon fenugreek powder - very very important - leaves will not give same flavor!!
DRY MASALA:
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cardamom - very important as well
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
generous grinding of pepper
1 teaspoon sugar

In a wok or heavy skillet over a medium-high flame, bhoona the pureed tomatoes, tomato paste, butter, dry masala, and sugar.? Bhoona over medium heat until thick enough to coat a spoon, about 5-7 minutes.
I first put the passata sauce in a pan and add the rest of the ingredients.? Do not cook anything in the butter!!!

NOTE: This is a basic sauce, parallel to a demi-glaze in western cooking.? It can be used as is, or to finish other dishes.? To finish a dish of poultry, meat, paneer, or vegetables, using Butter Tomato Sauce as a base:
makes 2 (could be even 4) servings

6 tablespoons butter tomato sauce (1/3 cup; 70 ml) - I use the entire portion from part 1
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin - roughly use 1 teaspoon
1/4 teaspoon paprika - roughly 1 teaspoon
generous grinding of pepper
1 fresh green chili, quartered and sliced into matchsticks
1 tablespoon garlic/ginger paste or (3 garlic cloves, mashed and 1 piecefresh ginger, size of walnut, minced) - i use this same amount? not more - be sure to grind it together - you dont want diced garlic that has bite when eaten
4 tablespoons heavy cream - use according to taste - color of sauce should be slighly pinkish
2 cups cooked ingredients such as: lamb cubes, tandoori chicken, paneer or vegetables - use according to preference

1. In a wok or heavy skillet, heat the butter tomato sauce over medium-high heat.? Add the spices, the garlic/ginger paste and the green chili. bhoona-ing so the sauce does not scorch.
2. Add the meat or vegetables and continute bhoona-ing, making sure the mixture does not stick.? Add 1/4 cup water if sauce becomes too thick.? Stir constantly.
3. Add the heavy cream and half the coriander ( I know coriander was not listed in the ingredient list!!? But fresh chopped coriander is what they are referring to), and keep stirring until sauce bubbles.? Garnish with the remaining coriander, and serve at once.

NOTE: If butter begins to separate out of sauce, add more cream; keep stirring until butter is thoroughly incorporated.

What I do is make the first part of the sauce with the box of passata sauce and then follow through to the second part with the entire pan of sauce.? we like lots of gravy and 6 tablespoons is much too less!!!? The masala amounts can be varied to suit personal taste.? I dont measure anything so I cannot give an accurate listing of amounts.? Just remember to add the ingredients into the sauce without cooking them in oil.? The garlic/ginger paste has to be added raw and it cooks in the sauce - thats the real flavor of the sauce.? Add the water as needed.....the sauce should be rather thick but not saucelike - should almost run if you put it onto a plate.? Hard to explain really.? Salt may be needed to taste.? I made thos few weeks ago but dont remember whether i put salt or not.? Any questions, feel free to ask - this is my first posting ever of a recipe online.

A recipe for the chicken tikka I use in?this sauce will follow under this topic I created a bit later today.

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Butter Tomato Sauce
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 03:38 PM »
Thanks for the post Payal...looks like a recipe well worth trynig .

Regards ,
CC

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 04:53 PM »
No prob!  But i will have to post the chicken tikka recipe tomorrow...this day has just disappeared on me...I am hoping someday someone tries this butter tomato sauce recipe....the taste is unbelievable!!  in restaurants, it is known as "makhani" so you will see paneer makhani, chicken makhani, and others like that.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 04:56 PM »
I have a very busy weekend ahead of me this week which is usualy my curry making time but as im on holiday next week I will try and get round to giving it a go then.

Cheers
cK

©2024 Curry Recipes