Author Topic: To fry or not to fry...  (Read 6075 times)

Offline Dylan

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
To fry or not to fry...
« on: August 24, 2005, 04:22 PM »
This is the question: Is it best to fry powdered spices at the begginning of a dish (BIR), or add them half way through or so?
 I have tried both ways and have not really noticed much difference (apart from having burned them now and again when adding them at the start!)

Your thoughts and advice please,

regards, Dylan

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: To fry or not to fry...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 04:35 PM »
I always fry spices near the begining, there's a noticeable difference in taste and there is never a powdery texture to the curry espcially if your adding a lot of chili powder.

I watched a chef do this part and it was most useful, heat the oil and then add your g&g paste\s if using and also tom puree, fry this for a couple of mins then lower the heat and add your spices, keep striing the pan and\or shaking it to stop it sticking and causing it to burn, fry for about a minute depending on the quantity then add a ladle of gravy and stir in quick, if it goes black its gameover and you may as well bin it.? I burnt them a few times before I started doing it all the time and now I never do it so practice makes perfect? ;D

Of course this only applys to the recipe your working from, I do this as a general rule for BIR recipes that I use\change etc.. and am sure that its an element of obtaining the elusive..?"taste"? ?::)

cK
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 04:49 PM by Curry King »

Offline Dylan

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 04:52 PM »
Ah, that may be where I've gone wrong.? When I said I put them in at the start, I meant right at the start, when there was only oil in the pan - this must be why they burnt so frequently.

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 04:58 PM »
We traditionally add the spices at the begining in the hot oil but not if there is going to be onion or garlic in the dish!  Those take so much time to fry up so the spices will burn.  If using any whole spices like cumin seed, cloves, cardomon, add them to the oil first.  Also, garam masala should not be added to the oil, it doesnt retain any flavor that way..it is always supposed to be added at the end of cooking a dish.  many dishes in cookbooks specify to sprinkle with garam masala after cooking.

Payal

Offline Nessa

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 06:20 PM »
I've been going wrong here too, so this thread has been really helpful. :)  I spoilt a potato and veg dish the other day by overcooking the mustard and cumin seeds, this wouldn't have happened if I had cooked the garlic, ginger and onion first. So many recipes start off by 'popping' the seeds and cooking the dry spices first, though. I'm going to try the other way next time!

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 07:50 PM »
The mustard and cumin seeda are ok at the beginning...never had them overcooked provided i added some onions or other things to the pan after popping.  Adding mustard seeds after cooking the onion, ginger and garlic is difficult because you need lots of oil to get them to pop and cook properly.  After the mustard seeds and cumin seed pop, take the pan off the heat and add the onion, garlic and whatever you want, put back on the heat and cook.  The whole seeds should not burn.  Add the ground spices just before adding the veg or meat - other wise they will burn very quickly.

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 09:14 PM »
Yes, a good thread. I have lost count of the amount of times I have burned spices at the start of the cooking process. Yet I have seen many do it and the spices don't seem to burn at all.........why.

Well, my opinion is that when a recipe say's add a tablespoon of oil and fry the spices it isn't enough Oil. I now fry any whole spice or powder in a good 3-4 Tbsp,s of Oil and they don't burn. You can always spoon off some of this Oill before going on to the next stage. And despite what you might read about cooking Garlic and Ginger with the Onions I always cook Onions until nearly done BEFORE adding the Garlic or Ginger which, for me burn very quickly.

Ray

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 09:14 AM »
If im using onions\peppers\chili in my curry I will pre-cook them first,  they can then be spooned in at a later stage after the sauce has gone in.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 12:32 PM »
I sometimes make a spice paste before frying, isnt this stage called the bhuna?

And I agree not frying the spices can lead to a powdery taste

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 02:14 PM »
If im using onions\peppers\chili in my curry I will pre-cook them first,? they can then be spooned in at a later stage after the sauce has gone in.

That is a really good idea..especially when I have to brown the onions a lot, thats what i do!!

©2024 Curry Recipes