Author Topic: Authentic Tandoori/Tikka recipe from Goa  (Read 6630 times)

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Authentic Tandoori/Tikka recipe from Goa
« on: March 18, 2010, 12:14 PM »
Hi all,

Have just got back from Goa where I befriended a chef at a local restaurant called Dekram who let me cook Tandoori, Tikka and Naan Bread in his blistering hot Tandoor Oven, so hot it burns the hair off your arm!
I also had the chance to visit the kitchen and watch the staff cook and took some photo's of them at work.
Originally from Nepal Dekram's food was stunning and he only earns ?80 a month so a fiver tip from me ensured I was his best friend for the week.

The recipe doesn't use Tandoori Powder but pre-made Massala's that can be bought in boxes fairly easily from the asian supermarket or some I found in Asda.

It is the best Tandoori I have ever tasted and it cooks just as well in a conventional oven the same as in the Tandoor.

It is extremely quick and easy to prepare and heavenly to eat!! Try it, you won't be disappointed.

Tandoori Chicken

8 Large Chicken Drumsticks, skinned

250 mls Plain Yoghurt

1 Tbsp Ginger/Garlic Paste

1 Tbsp Garam Massala ( I use Everest Brand, same as the chef )

1/2 Tbsp Chicken Massala ( Everest Brand )

1 Tbsp Kitchen King Massala (Everest Brand or MDH Brand )

1 Tsp Salt

1/2 Tsp Chilie Powder

2 Tbsps Veg Oil

1/2 Tsp Red Food Colouring ( optional )

Juice of 1 Lime

Method

Make 2 slashes on each drumstick and rub well with the Lime Juice

Mix all the other ingredients together in a bowl and coat the drumsticks well.

Cover and leave in the marinade overnight.

Pre-heat the oven to it's highest setting.

Shake off excess marinade and place drumsticks on a wire rack over a drip tray

Cook chicken for 25-30 mins or until cooked and starting to blacken

Chicken Tikka uses exactly the same mix but use cubed Chicken Breast instead and cook on skewer.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 03:15 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Authentic Tandoori/Tikka recipe from Goa
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 03:13 PM »
Hi Ray,

Bloody h*ll!  This is the first time I've seen you post since I've been here!  Welcome back!

Having said that, what's:

• Chicken masala
  • Kitchen King masala

Please?  :-\

PS:  We have a new method for posting photos, please see here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1475.msg36034#msg36034

Offline surge

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 06:20 PM »
Hi

Kitchen King Masala' is an excellent blend of spices & is an all purpose seasoning. It is used sparingly with any curry to get enhanced taste seems you can buy these mixed spices in a packet so it says on the web sites i've have a look at my local asian store to find out what its gonna cost to buy.

::)

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 12:09 PM »
Hi C.A,

It's nice to make a contribution after all this time.

I have been rather busy lately and not done much curry cooking. However, going to India has given me some inspiration and having a real Indian Chef show me how they make the most wonderful food made me think I just have to share that little bit of knowledge with everyone else on the site as it is food worth trying and cannot be more authentic than this!

Although there is not B.I.R. food in India the dishes they make are to put it mildly stunning! Restaurant menu's only have a few of the dishes we see in our restaurants but they are very different in taste. You see they Vindaloo and the C.T.M. but find it hard to see a Madras or a Korma anywhere. C.T.M is mainly called Butter Chicken. They do have Jalfrezi's and make a Chicken dish called Chicken Xacuti which is fairly fiery and very tasty.

The Vindaloo for instance just isn't hot!! We gauge the strength of chilie heat by the name of the dish whereas in India they all seem to be medium dishes! If they make a dish slightly hotter than medium they apologise and watch your face for a reaction to the heat and of course they don't get one as it is very palatable to us westerners.

To answer your question and as Surge say's Chicken Massala and Kitchen King Massala are blends of powdered spices that can be found in smallish boxes at your local asian store. I found the M.D.H. brand of Kitchen King at my local Asda ( surprise, surprise! ). They cost about 80p a box for 100 gms.
I have ( hopefully ) attached a photo.

These two Massala's along with Garam Massala are the secret to the best Tandoori you have ever had. There are alternative recipes for other curries on the back of the boxes but I haven't tried them yet. If you fancy giving this a try and can't get these spices locally I can always post some to you as I can get it easily where I live!

Regards

Ray

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 12:10 PM »
Whoops,

Perhaps I need to resize that picture!!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 09:12 PM »
Although there is not B.I.R. food in India the dishes they make are to put it mildly stunning!

Hi Ray. I've heard several people say this and yet when I've made supposedly authentic/traditional Indian food I've been thoroughly underwhelmed by the results. Do you have a recipe, other than the tandoori chicken, from your trip that would demonstrate this? I would definitely be up for making it if so and I am particularly interested in the Xacuti as this is one of the authentic dishes I have already made and as I say was less than impressed with.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 10:15 AM »
Ray,

very lucky chappy. not been to goa but know how good it is via a man i use to know.

i've just found how important the lime is.

will look out for the MDH Kitchen King as i'm sure i can get it (local store has full shelf of MDH).

what does the Chicken Masala remind u of - how does it differ from tandoori masala or is it the same.

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 11:40 AM »
Hi S S,

I have to agree with you I have made a whole load of traditional Indian dishes from mounds of books I own and I am also a bit dissapointed in the end result. However the Chicken Xacutti is a very highly spiced dish.

Recipe moved to here by CA: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4425.0
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 02:25 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 11:53 AM »
Hi JerryM,

After having my nose in the Chicken Masala it does smell very similar to Tandoori Powder but perhaps a bit more intense. There is a lot of different spices in it as the photo shows which would explain the stronger smell. I would use the Chicken Massala as that is what the chef used but I would expect Tandoori Powder would be a fine substitute!

Ray

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 10:33 AM »
Ray,

many thanks for extra detail. i've compared against my tandoori masala (leena, TRS, rajah) and it is quite different to the extent that i feel i need to purchase to try.

the inclusion of asafoetida and gram does worry me a little though.

all the best.

©2024 Curry Recipes