Author Topic: Tonights Efforts  (Read 9190 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Tonights Efforts
« on: March 18, 2010, 10:28 PM »
On a complete whim we decided to have a go at Chicken Tikka tonight, using a recipe on here. But I didn't have all the ingredients as listed so adapted the recipe. Now it didn't work out as planned but the reason i'm posting it is that it did create a dish that some might enjoy.

I also get the chance to show off my onion bhaji and sag aloo recipes.

Chicken Tikka (something or other)

The original recipe I started with is blade1212's http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=874.0

I replaced the Tandoori sauce with Rogan Josh but added 25ml of Tamarind dissolved in the water (boiling). I had no curry powder and used ground fenugreek instead and used Harrisa paste instead of chilli. I added a tbls of tomato puree and a tsp of paprika.

They were cooked in the oven at 250c for 12 mins.

Onion Bhaji

My recipe is here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4396.0

Sag Aloo

Recipe moved to recipe section by CA: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4419.0

The tikka didn't go to plan but it was nice. With added onion and maybe pepper the remaining sauce would have made a nice gravy given maybe yoghurt or a little chicken stock maybe. The Harrisa certainly pepped it up a bit.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 12:22 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tonights Efforts
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 12:35 AM »
Forgive me for saying so Axe, but I find some of your "substitutions" a little bizarre.  I wouldn't' think they make very good substitutions at all, especially substituting ground fenugreek for curry powder?  :-\   I'm not at all surprised that it "didn't work out as planned"  :P

All very nicely presented though..thanks for sharing  8)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 09:52 AM »
CA, your quite in your comments it was a pure fantasy of a mix but the Fenugreek wasn't in place of the curry powder it should have read powder instead of leaf, my mistake.

Whilst the dish didn't turn out as planned it was ok. What it has done though, is given me ideas for another dish. :)

The thing is, I realised almost straight away whilst putting it together that it wouldn't be a Tikka so thought i'd play with it to see what I could get. You can't accuse me of not being experimental.  ;)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 10:12 AM »
Those Bhajis look good from the outside. I'd be keen to see the middle of them. My onion normally stays quite white whereas the BIR bhajis get their onions ot go yellow. Were they once cook or twice cooked? Im guessing if on a whim you didnt get a chance to dry them out.

I started some yesterday for Saturday's curry. I'll post at lunch what I'm doing and hopefully some nice results on Saturday.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 11:08 AM »
Thanks Chris,

I didn't have time to twice cook last night as it was purely done off the cuff. I actaully got my batter slightly wrong last night, putting a little too much yoghurt in it was still sticky but not as much. so I made sue I made a thin bhaji and fried in a shallow pan, forcing the spoon into the middle of the batter to break and pull a little.

These are very close to the mark but as we both know, perfection is a challenger in the world of Onion Bhaji.

I look forward to your write up. :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 10:40 AM »
Axe,

i can see we both enjoy our lab coats and big plastic specs.

ps on the tikka u don't need to mess - use either CA's or Lasan - they are the best. the important factor is the lime juice.

my personal final conclusion was stick with CA's but add lime juice, white pepper, mustard oil and fennel seed

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1555.0
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4182.0

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 01:17 PM »
Thanks Jerry, I don't mind playing about and don't mind getting it wrong.

Recommendation is always a good thing but funnily, I was initially going to do CA's but as I had tried his Seekh I thought i'd tried someone else's. I might just have another go tonight.

Chris, i've had a thought about the yellow colour in the bhaji. Based on my discovery of the Panch Puran, I notice it duplicates my ingredients. There is, however, one difference and that is Yellow Mustard seeds as opposed to my black mustard seeds.

This would surely give a yellow appearance to the mix. I know intend to review Panch Puran in its make up and apply this somehow, to my recipe. Swapping Black for Yellow will be the start.  Looking forward to next week though.

Good luck with the Bhaji tonight. :)

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 08:49 AM »
Axe/Chris The yellow colour is probably down to Turmeric

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 08:53 AM »
Axe/Chris The yellow colour is probably down to Turmeric

I agree

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 09:59 AM »
for bhajis i too am sure the colour is down to turmeric.

interesting observation though on the Panch Puran. i had to get my packet out again this morning - there is only 1 off variety of black seed in the packet and they are nigela or onion seed.

i've been wrestling with black mustard seed for a while and pretty much come to the conclusion to throw them out (not a BIR ingredient). i might just have to treat myself to a bag of yellow mustard but i'm a tad cautious as i've never spotted then in the Asian stores (might be that i've just missed them). my interest is for use in marinade and potentially spice mix.

©2024 Curry Recipes