Author Topic: Tonights Efforts  (Read 9187 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tonights Efforts
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 10:55 AM »
I think we were both aware that turmeric is a big contributor to the yellowness of the bhaji. My point is that if you add spices to a bowl, throw in some sliced onion and gram flour, mix a batter and deep fry for 5 minutes, it doesnt matter how much turmeric you add into the batter, the onions still remain white. It seems to take a long time to get the onions yellow all the way through to the middle. I imagine it would be near impossible if you slice them 5mm thick.

Yesterday were yellow through which was a first for me. Hardly surprising though given the 48 hour marinating period.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 11:07 AM »
chriswg,

yes i can see what u're getting at.

just for info i was experimenting with making mint sauce yellow this week using turmeric - it took 24hrs for the magic to work. u could even be fooled into using too much and spoiling the flavour when a little works a lot but just takes a good while to work.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 11:09 AM »
it took 24hrs for the magic to work.

Quote from: chris
Hardly surprising though given the 48 hour marinating period

Get real guys, do you REALLY think BIRs spend such a long time doing this!?  :-\

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 11:27 AM »
CA,

how long do u think BIR's leave the bhaji mix before the 1st cooking and do u think the colouring process continues after this point.

i left the mint sauce for about 4 hrs and the colour had not really changed - the next morning it had. so 24hrs may be too much but 4 hrs is too short.

i'm having a rest from biryani and think i might give the bhajis a go as i've not tried out this 2 stage cooking. Panpot's 5 hr softening for sure does work.

this was the pic after 4hrs - i did not take a pic the next morning but the difference in colour was stark.

i could see BIR making in the evening for the next day.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 11:29 AM »
I have been researching Panch Puran Jerry. It would seem that this too has slight variations. Never easy this game is it!

Bearing in mind I had never seen this mix before and only had a very quick look into the jar I did identify Onion Seeds and Yellow Mustard Seeds. I concentrated on the black seeds as I thought there were two different types. I was then told the Jeera (Cumin) was in there and don't recall the two others.

The bulk of my searching on the internet throw up the following: Cumin seeds, Black mustard seeds, Fennel seeds, Nigella seeds, Fenugreek seeds.

The yellow colour is probably down to the Turmeric and aided by the mustard perhaps. What I am fairly sure about it, is that the colour will develop over the time the bhaji rests, having first been pre-cooked.

I had a go at making the video chefs Onion Bhaji last night, with potato as shown but cut properly into fine match sticks. I followed the recipe as close as I could. My only admission is that I had to research Kashmiri Masala and make it.

The results of the Bhaji were poor. Firstly, getting the mix consitency right was almost impossible. How he managed not to get covered in sticky mix is beyond me. I kept it as dry as I could.

On first cook they looked inviting but seem to hold quite a bit of oil. The smell was not usual for a BIR Bhaji more akin to a homemade Bhaji made without experience, if you get what I mean.

On second cook, after pulling them apart slightly, they browned very quickly and the batter hardened more so. They looked the part if nothing else. The smell still wasn't right and the inside was more overcooked than I had expected ir to be, they were not in the oil long.

Taste wise, well again the smell and taste was a complete let down as too was the consistency of the bhaji. I took note as the wife chose not to eat both, this never happens!

I served this with my go at CA's Tikka.

Please note that I do not use food colourings.

Onion Bhaji - 1st Cook

Soaking up the flavour CA's Marinade (without colouring)

Onion Bhaji - 2nd Cook

Finished Dish

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 12:35 PM by Axe »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 12:07 PM »
CA,

how long do u think BIR's leave the bhaji mix before the 1st cooking........i could see BIR making in the evening for the next day.

I can see them preparing them anything from immediately before required to a few hours beforehand (i.e. in the afternoon, prior to the evening serving).  Not longer.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 12:09 PM »
I served this with my go at CA's Tikka.

As you say, minus the food colouring.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 12:13 PM »
Cumin seeds, Black mustard seeds, Fennel seeds, Nigella seeds, Fenugreek seeds

As I understand it, that's the traditional "panch phoran" mix Axe ("nigella" being "wild onion seeds").

Also see here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1281.0

I understand it is traditionally used in vegetable dishes.  I use it in pilau rice (perhaps not to everyone's taste, I know).

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 12:23 PM »
CA,

how long do u think BIR's leave the bhaji mix before the 1st cooking........i could see BIR making in the evening for the next day.

I can see them preparing them anything from immediately before required to a few hours beforehand (i.e. in the afternoon, prior to the evening serving).  Not longer.

Well, i'm visiting my local on Thursday having been invited to watch as they make up 200 Onion Bhaji.  This will start late morning and I suspect is to provide for the weekends trade.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 12:28 PM »
Cumin seeds, Black mustard seeds, Fennel seeds, Nigella seeds, Fenugreek seeds

As I understand it, that's the traditional "panch phoran" mix Axe ("nigella" being "wild onion seeds").

Also see here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1281.0

I understand it is traditionally used in vegetable dishes.  I use it in pilau rice (perhaps not to everyone's taste, I know).

The 'Nigella' thing always makes me laugh. I remember an episode of The Apprentice when they were tasked to buy Nigella Seeds. It was frustrating watching them clueless all the while i'm shouting at the screen "Onion Seeds", much to the wife's disdain.  :D

As for adding it to Pilau, my take on cooking as a whole is that no matter what you do or how you do it, if it is to your liking, it simply doesn't matter what others say.

Its all part of the journey. ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes