Author Topic: Tonights Efforts  (Read 9191 times)

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Tonights Efforts
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 01:03 PM »
Re: turmeric. This stuff burns very easily and can lead to a bitter taste, far better to use orange (or red) food colouring, you will only need the tiniest amount for a vibrant colour, IMO.

Regards
CoR.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 01:46 PM »
far better to use orange (or red) food colouring, you will only need the tiniest amount for a vibrant colour, IMO.
CoR.

I agree....and yellow...(also for coloured rice).

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 06:18 PM »
Axe,

the bhajis seem to bear out u're report - don't look too good. fingers crossed that the visit goes well.

as i said i'm now compelled to make some this week. i feel they are pretty good as they are (essentially BIR) since i adopted the 5 hrs wait and no added water (re panpot).

when i make i'll start in the afternoon as per CA's advice and keep an eye out for the colour change. i'll also try the 2 stage cook - i don't feel a need to flatten or break them.

ps on the tikka u need to buy some branded tandoori masala - u're marinade don't look as red as what i get and i don't use any colouring - the branded does contain it though and i feel makes a nice improvement to the looks of the finished dish.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 11:02 PM »
Ok, so tonight we tried my suggested breakdown of the IG Bhaji Recipe for the first time and I am really pleased that it all went well. I struggled to get heat on the first cook but the end result was way above any other standard I have cooked a bhaji before. Its certainly a keeper. I might stick some green chilli in next time.  8)

The second tested recipe was Dipuraja's tandoori/Tikka marinade. I followed the recipe to the letter and was really looking forward to it as the smells emanating from the marinade were tantalising. Sadly the finished dish was not to my standards at least. It was certainly full of flavour but it had far too much bite. I would advise anyone testing the recipe to half the spices and pastes and double the yoghurt and lemon juice. The marinade is far to thick. I will try it again as the flavour was there, but I will be following my own advice.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 10:22 AM »
Axe,

the colour of the tikka looks spot on now though. on tikka u need to try CA's and the Lasan. i've tweaked CA's a little towards the lasan but still find i can't decide which i like best and now tend to rotate between them.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1555.0
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4182.0

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 12:09 PM »
Jerry, the colour was due to me giving in and buying some colouring.  ;)

I have tried CA's but in honesty, hashed it up. I do have two prepared breasts frozen in a bag with CA's marinade, waiting for a second go. They will go nicely with last nights left over sag aloo which is also now frozen. ;D

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 12:15 PM »
Looks good Axe and I think you should forgive yourself for using colouring, BIRs use them all the time and I usually to a mix of red with a little yellow for my tikka.

©2024 Curry Recipes