Author Topic: Ghee  (Read 1625 times)

Offline surge

• Chef
    • View Profile
Ghee
« on: March 19, 2010, 12:40 PM »
Hi

Has anyone ever made thier own ghee for cooking? a tub of this stuff costs 3 quid in the stores. Anyway found this on the web if anyone wants to try this method.

Ghee is an ingredient in many Middle Eastern dishes. It is also called clarified butter. Ghee can be quite expensive in the stores; making it in your own kitchen is easy and inexpensive. You can stores ghee in an airtight container on a pantry shelf.
Ingredients:

* 1 pound unsalted butter

Preparation:
Using a medium saucepan, heat butter on medium heat.

Allow butter to melt and bring to a boil, stirring. You will notice that the oil will separate itself. The top will begin to froth; remove froth.

Allow the oil to become clear. Once, clear, remove from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.

After cooling, strain ghee through a very fine strainer into container or jar, or through 3-5 layers of cheesecloth.

Put lid on container and store on shelf.
 ::)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 03:57 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Ghee
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 09:38 AM »
Yes Surge I have had a go and it worked really well. For convenience I just buy a tin though hardly use now as I find it rarely used in recipes though is in a lot of TAs

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ghee
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 11:59 AM »
used to be a stable ingredient in a lot of traditional home cooking recipes but even Indian and Pakistani families are becoming more health conscious and using less these days.

©2024 Curry Recipes