Author Topic: Bhaji prep for the weekend  (Read 10078 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bhaji prep for the weekend
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 06:05 PM »
The only bhaji's i have ever eaten have been flat and about 4" in diameter, or round and the size of a plum.
Some of the bhaji photo's on here i have seen are ridiculous, if someone served me one of those up id run away from fright lol.

I have that reaction too peter but in reverse. I get seriously offended when I'm served up one of those flat travesties. All it says to me is that the chef has no skill. In the early days all I ever got was the large tennis ball sized round bhajis, perfectly cooked through. It's a skill and one that seems to be fast disappearing, much to my chagrin.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 10:05 AM »
peter,

obviously can't read u like a book. for info www.cromwell.co.uk might be worth a look on the catering knives.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 10:50 AM »

Finely chopped onions resting in the spices.

Gram flour added and rolled into balls.

After first fry and 24 hours resting.

Insides cooked well.

Chicken Madras.

Poor attempt at cooking Naans on a pizza tray.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 10:52 AM »
chriswg,

love the pics but can u make bigger.

how did it all taste and what are u're thoughts going fwd.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 10:55 AM »
love the pics but can u make bigger.

Especially your 4th photo ("insides cooked well"). 

Something like 600 - 700 pixels wide by 450 - 525 pixels high (preserving the aspect ratio) is good for viewing on the forum.

How big were your bhajis (if that's not too personal a question!  :P)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 11:04 AM »
They were my best yet from a cooking method point of view, the spices need a bit of work but I think that will be the easier part.

I probably over cooked them a little on the final fry. There was a lot going on as my wife was cooking a totally separate meal and I was balancing cooking the Madras, poppadums and Naan. I'm kicking myself for not getting the thermometer out to check the oil temp, I think it must have been around the 160 - 170 mark as they darkened very quickly. The second batch I kept more of an eye on.

I'd say cooking method - 90%
Taste - 75%

I have lots of ideas for moving forwards though and I feel I'm on a good track now.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 11:11 AM »
I'm kicking myself for not getting the thermometer out to check the oil temp

chriswg,

treat yourself - get a 2nd deep fryer

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 11:47 AM »
Chris, they look inviting indeed. Do you think the mix was to wet before you rolled or just right?

I also think the amount of precook time is essential not to over do.

Will these be the adjustments that you make?

Like you, I didn't keep an eye on my oil last night and the first batch got rather hot under the collar. lol

Its all good fun. ;)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 01:35 PM »
I just watched the Dipuranja Youtube Onion Bhaji video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/dipuraja1#p/a/u/0/hFeRuAT_gJI

It was a very interesting watch and although I don't think the results from his effort looked very good, it does reinforce a couple of my thoughts from my Bhaji experiments. Firstly (and I appreciate it's only based on this one video) it would appear they dont premarinate the onions in salt and spices before they are made. I found this made the onion too soft so you end up with a very smooth ball and a sludgy middle. The idea of keeping everything very loose to maximize the internal surface areas in contact with the hot oil makes sense. Almost all BIR OB's are a bit spiky with onion jutting out everywhere, you definitely lose this with the premarinading so for me, that's out moving forwards.

The use of an egg as a binder isn't a new idea but is one I discounted a while ago in favour of standard water based batter. I'll revisit now as it might be the only way to get the onions sticky enough for a light coating of flour.

The lentils are also something I haven't tried before so I'll give them a go.

I'd never really considered it might be food colouring giving the internal colouring, I'll be buying some of that today.

Finally I can't tell you how pleased I was to see the potato going in too. That is now 4 out of 4 Indian chefs I have heard say this should be added. CA - it's time to accept the truth!

©2024 Curry Recipes