Author Topic: Dipuraja's Onion Bhaji Recipe  (Read 46916 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Onion Bhaji Recipe
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2010, 01:37 AM »
At last the penny drops!

True, I was almost under the impression it was your's for a while SS.... ::)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2010, 01:13 PM »
Well I've just made a couple of of these for lunch and yummy!

So here's what I think:

1. I didn't include the lentils purely because I couldn't wait for the soaking time but I will try them next time as I'm intrigued by their inclusion.

2. Potato. I cut the potato as dipuraja demonstrates, which is small cubes. They were obvious in the final product but were a welcome taste addition. It's not really a onion bhaji though is it if you can distinguish the spuds after cooking. So yes I like it but if I were to continue using them I would matchstick them as in the IG bhaji method.

3. Taste. Very good, but still not top notch. The flavour is far better than the IG bhaji in that there actually is some! If you make this bhaji I would go with two onions and not three as suggested to make the spicing right.

4. Consistency. I found that I had to overcook the bhaji to ensure the middle was cooked and it still had that slightly cakey feel.

Overall very good and I would not be disappointed to be served this in a restaurant which is more than I can say for the thoroughly tasteless, if technically better,IG bhaji.

I hope I don't get into any argy bhaji for saying that!   ::) ;D

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2010, 08:15 PM »
SS,

These do look better than your IG attempt, I must say.  Just one or two points.

I didn't include the lentils purely because I couldn't wait for the soaking time

He only soaked them for 10 minutes?

Consistency. I found that I had to overcook the bhaji to ensure the middle was cooked and it still had that slightly cakey feel.

How long did you actually cook them for and did you do his 'twice cook' method? I will never accept that a bhaji can be cooked properly in the time that Dipuraja suggest's, especially when they are that big.

Taste. Very good, but still not top notch

Can you put your finger on what you think may be missing in both Bhaji's apart from little spicing in the IG?  In terms of ingredients, there is very little between these, with the exception of lentils and kashmiri masala in Dip's Bhaji.  In my opinion, lentils are usually bland, so their inclusion can only be for texture I'm guessing?  As for the Kashmiri masala, this would add further flavour but, with most of the ingredients of the K/M being present in Dip's mix powder, I don't see the point in it's inclusion?

I would not be disappointed to be served this in a restaurant which is more than I can say for the thoroughly tasteless, if technically better,IG bhaji.

Bit harsh SS.  I think that the scaling that Axe has provided us is not a bad effort.  I mean, how do you scale down a 'handfull' to a precise measurment?  I'm guessing that you would have preferred a tbsp of mix powder and equal chilli powder, and if that is the case, then add that to the "technically" better IG bhaji, and you would be in Nirvana? ;)

Ray :)

Offline timeless

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2010, 03:58 PM »
Tried this last night with my curry first couple i did were a mess but got it in the end and yes they were tasty

©2024 Curry Recipes