Author Topic: Dipuraja's Onion Bhaji Recipe  (Read 47472 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Onion Bhaji Recipe
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 11:21 AM »
I notice on the video that he slices some of the onions 'pole to pole' and the rest across. As with his 'evenly sliced' potato, I think he just chopped as quickly as possible to get to the end result. I am sure he employees more finesse when he's making them up normally. ::)

Next batch I make will be Thursday evening. ;)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 12:37 PM »
Make sure you make a double batch and leave half of them to dry out for a couple of days. I'll be interested to hear the results. I think it will really help intensify the flavour.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 02:13 PM »
Don't make the mistake of confusing 'European' chickpeas and Indian chickpeas (gram or channa), totally different things.
Fennel seed is the essential spice for an onion bhaji, try it on its own and then add other spices one by one to get a combination that works best for you.
When this potato in onion bhaji stuff first started I asked in a T/A that does fantastic bhajis and they looked at me like I was crazy. The chef explained in a very condescending manner that the difference between an onion bhaji and a vegetable pakora was that one was made from onions and the other was made from potatoes (and other veggies).

Regasrds
CoR 

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 03:01 PM »
Don't make the mistake of confusing 'European' chickpeas and Indian chickpeas (gram or channa), totally different things.

That I didn't know, interesting read, : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chickpea

Thanks CoR

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2010, 05:02 PM »

When this potato in onion bhaji stuff first started I asked in a T/A that does fantastic bhajis and they looked at me like I was crazy. The chef explained in a very condescending manner that the difference between an onion bhaji and a vegetable pakora was that one was made from onions and the other was made from potatoes (and other veggies).

Regasrds
CoR 

That's a fair comment CoR but, am I right in thinking that the onion bahji is a BIR invention anyway, and not a variation of a traditional dish?  If this is the case, I can easily see some BIR's/TA's using potato for bulk!

What does suprise me in the video, is how big he cuts the potato.  Surely it wouldn't cook through in the time that he cooks them. 

I do use potato in my bahji, carrots too, being careful not to describe them as 'onion bahji's' for the benefit of the purist's ;D but, I grate both and squeeze all the liquid out of them.  They end up perfectly cooked right through, soft in the center, crispy on the outside, and IMO, have the BIR smell & tatse.

Ray 

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2010, 05:17 PM »

Ray, is that the Pataks description? no wonder my test wasn't right.

Hi Axe,

Yeah, that's from the label on the Pataks jar, which is what I belive he uses in the video.

What was you using?

Ray

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 12:56 AM »
I think he's the best thing to happen in Indian cooking so far as we are concerned. Deny if you will. He's a real Chef.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 09:56 AM »

Ray, is that the Pataks description? no wonder my test wasn't right.

Hi Axe,

Yeah, that's from the label on the Pataks jar, which is what I belive he uses in the video.

What was you using?

Ray

Ray,

The novice in me typed Kashmiri Masala into the search bar and made a mix using one I found on here.  ::) Lesson learnt.

On my quest around the internet for the illusive BIR Bhaji recipe, I came across many variants. I hadn't considered searching using 'alternative' names but none the less I found reference to Piyava Pakoda/Pakora/Baje/Bajo. If you Google Piyava Pakoda, you'll see what I mean and find some interesting recipes.

Mikka, I don't think anyone here doubts the chaps credentials. ;)

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 10:22 AM »
I think he's the best thing to happen in Indian cooking so far as we are concerned. Deny if you will. He's a real Chef.

I don't think anyone can deny he clearly has access to a takeaway kitchen, as for how good a chef he is.............until someone visits Penrith and tries his food, who knows?
I don't think he helps himself with his manner, he appears to want to rush everything and if his onion bhajis are anything to go by I won't be hurtling up the M6,

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 09:54 PM »
Oh I don't know? It was just another way of doing them and more to the point I've had them served to me like that too. Also and I say again it would be nice for experts to validate comments on camera. You only have a few minutes to work stuff out, try it.

I also make mistakes in cooking. I find it incredible that when someone comes forward to show you things it is met with a barrage.

So Achmal?
Are you an Indian restaurant Chef?

I don't think anyone can deny he clearly has access to a takeaway kitchen, as for how good a chef he is.............until someone visits Penrith and tries his food, who knows?
I don't think he helps himself with his manner, he appears to want to rush everything and if his onion bhajis are anything to go by I won't be hurtling up the M6,

©2024 Curry Recipes