Author Topic: Dipuraja's Onion Bhaji Recipe  (Read 47493 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Onion Bhaji Recipe
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2010, 04:59 PM »
All my attempts at making Bhaji prior to this had been ok but never did resemble a BIR Bhaji. Not matter how hard I tried, I could never get the centre to the consistency that I wanted and always ended up with a loose almost tasteless ball of overcooked onion or a heavy under cooked cakey centre.

The IG Bhaji Demo gave me the recipe and the methodology and the result was delicious. Having broken the Restaurant quantities down I did have to refine it a little bit but eventually was able to produce perfect Bhaji almost identical in texture to the IG Bhaji

It sounds to me that you're saying that the addition of potatoes made all the difference to your end result?  Or was it actually the cooking method and texture of the "batter" that made all the difference?  Or all three do you think?

Having perfected your cooking method, batter, etc, have you tried making them without the potatoes to see if it makes any difference?  I strongly suspect not?......

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2010, 05:13 PM »
i have tried both methods , the potatoes just add more depth and more consistancy , as u can see the bajis with only onion can b very wattery , only thing the potato does is adds extra depth , i just made another batch , only thing i done diff was add 10 finely chopped birds eye green chillies , made 14 bajis

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2010, 05:26 PM »
i have tried both methods , the potatoes just add more depth and more consistancy

I'm not sure what you mean by "depth" and "consistency" gazman?

Quote from: gazman
, as u can see the bajis with only onion can b very wattery

Where am I supposed to be looking please?  Are you saying that the potatoes "mop up" the water then?

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2010, 05:49 PM »
my pics wont load cause of yer shite website lol, yes the potatoes mop up the water , where r u from , i have asked u numerous time now , i take it u r not from scotland or england ???

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2010, 06:01 PM »
just tried the bajis , and they r amazing , nice taste to staRT THEN AFTER A FEW SECS U GET THE HEAT ,  very good indeed , shame cory thinks he knows it all lmafo

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2010, 06:04 PM »
Here is my theory on the use of potato in bhajis.

As I have previously stated, in order to get a perfectly cooked bhaji you need to allow the oil to penetrate to the middle of the bhaji. If you have too much thick batter, the onion in the middle is essentially stewing in the batter as the oil is not getting into contact with it. As Dipuraja showed and IG confirmed, in order to do this the onions need to be as firm as possible - not soft as a lot of us (myself included) previously thought. Any ideas of pre cooking the onions or salting them 24 hours beforehand went out of the window.

I hope you are with me so far as this is an essential fact to cooking good bhajis.

So in order to achieve 'airy' bhajis we now know we need to add salt at the last second, chuck in an egg to make the onions sticky, and then add just enough gram flour to coat the onions. We could in theory then form the bhajis and cook and I'm sure the results would be okay but there wouldn't be very much substance in the middle of the bhaji - only onion. By adding some very thin potato matchsticks to the mix (mine are usually even thinner than matchsticks) you can keep the bhaji loose and airy to allow it to cook through, while at the same time the potato breaks down after 5 or 6 minutes to form the soft centre. You certainly wouldn't know they contain potato even though you just made them.

I don't think this is a new thing and I certainly don't think it is a regional thing either. We have heard from chefs in Bristol, Sussex, Surrey, Hampshire and Newcastle. They all agree.

This will be my last post on the subject. If anyone is to stubborn to embrace this breakthrough then you deserve to wallow in bhaji mediocrity. Gaz, Axe and I (to name but three) demand perfection and it would seem we have all achieved it.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2010, 06:07 PM »
It sounds to me that you're saying that the addition of potatoes made all the difference to your end result?  Or was it actually the cooking method and texture of the "batter" that made all the difference?  Or all three do you think?

Its a very good question. It certainly had nothing to do with the batter texture, I have tried thick and thin batter previously and neither had worked. That leaves just two, the potato and the method.

Without doubt, the method plays a crucial role in making a really good Bhaji. Working the onion softens it up enough and makes it pliable enough to create a smooth round Bhaji without too much batter and without breaking down the onion.

The potato definitely gives the finished bhaji a better texture inside. It's hard to explain but its lighter in texture. As Chris says, it seems to breakdown but imparts itself to the batter to make it almost bread like in the centre. Whilst on the outside it adds a deeper flavour and does help to make the bhaji really crispy.

Having perfected your cooking method, batter, etc, have you tried making them without the potatoes to see if it makes any difference?  I strongly suspect not?......

No and I won't be, unless I run out of potato.  ;)

The IG Bhaji is 'the' Bhaji I judge all others by. Following the IG Demo and subsequent topic, I have been able to re-produce near identical Bhaji at home.

I'm not saying that its the be all and end all of a Bhaji, far from it. But to me it would be pointless trying it without, when I know the IG definitely do use it.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2010, 06:08 PM »
yes we certainly have , i added chopped green chillies to the mix , u should try it , great taste then an even better after kick , WOW !!!

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2010, 06:14 PM »
i suspect he is google mapping places so he is ready for my questions lmfao !!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2010, 09:13 PM »
This will be my last post on the subject. If anyone is to stubborn to embrace this breakthrough then you deserve to wallow in bhaji mediocrity.

Hehe that gave me a laugh!   ;D

Gaz, Axe and I (to name but three) demand perfection and it would seem we have all achieved it.

Well chris, I have not necessarily achieved perfection but I've made the best bhajis I've ever made just by the addition of egg. That was all that was missing for me!

I have always made the bhajis fresh, as you suggest, so that's nothing new to me. I just need to get the spicing the way I like it now.

Oh, and don't forget, your idea of perfection may not be the same as my idea. I bet you put lemon in your madras for that added 'perfection' too?  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes