Author Topic: Dipuraja's Tandoori Chicken Marinade  (Read 26965 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Dipuraja's Tandoori Chicken Marinade
« on: March 22, 2010, 02:16 AM »
Ingredients (approximate quantities - see video):

- 1kg chicken pieces (on the bone)
- 1 tbsp garlic/ginger paste
- 1.5 tbsp mix powder (here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4354.0)
- 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 tbsp kashmiri masala paste (Patak)
- 2 tbsp tandoori paste (Pasco)
- 2.5 tbsp tikka paste (Patak)
- 4 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp red powdered food colouring
- 2 tsp lemon dressing
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves

Method:

- Mix all ingredients well
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander leaves
- Marinate (in fridge) for about 15 hours

Notes:

- For chicken tikka, use same recipe but replace red food colouring with yellow food colouring and use boneless chicken
- For lamb tikka and tandoori chicken, use this recipe (i.e. with red food colouring)

Video link here:

How to marinate tandoori chicken
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 01:28 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Tandoori Chicken Marinade
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 07:36 PM »
hi CA could you amend the recipe above to "Pataks Tikka paste" and not the "tikka masala" don't think they do TM in catering size, maybe wrong. but they are very different beasts.
kind regards
gary ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 07:35 PM »
i've purchased Dipuraja's 5 off essential pastes ready to try out his recipes. not opened them yet so can't say on the tastes.

they are quite expensive in the small bottles. the catering sizes are real tempting on price advantage (~?7 for 1.5kg in 5 off jars and ?6 for the 2.5kg catering size) but would need freezing. pasco seems to be growing as a real competitor to pataks. both are in wigan too.

Offline string28

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 07:40 PM »
HI JerryM
Great to see you have the pastes! But
You have tikka masala paste not tikka paste.
I`ll post a pic of my jars too.
Great post.

I think i need to sort all of these out lol
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 08:03 PM by string28 »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 08:11 PM »
string28,

many thanks - i'd not realised. i was going to make the tikka next as well.

love u're storecupboard - i'll tell my good lady about it (i'm allocated 2 carrier bags and an area of the room no one else uses).

Offline string28

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 08:24 PM »
Hi JerryM
Np M8
I was just wondering do you know where to buy online the catering sizes of the pastes?
Be good to get the bigger sizes doing a party soon for friends and family so could do with them.
Thank you.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 08:44 PM »
I can't help feeling depressed when I see pictures like this. There's no doubt that bought pastes make up a good deal of today's BIR output but in my opinion it is this that is taking it away from the far superior older type of BIR curries that I'm sure didn't rely on pastes as much - if at all.

I know we have to explore every avenue on this forum because for some this will be what they're after, but it's definitely a step in the wrong direction for me.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 08:51 PM »
i'll tell my good lady about it (i'm allocated 2 carrier bags and an area of the room no one else uses).

Yeah, but where do you keep your curry stuff?   ;D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 09:11 PM »
I can't help feeling depressed when I see pictures like this.

I must admit the words 'Devil, Sole, Sold, My' came to my mind when I saw the pictures of the pastes too. But If people are looking for that then I don't see it as a problem.

Its to be expected that our friend Dipurajah will get a fair bit of airtime as he is doing a rather good job of spreading the message. His style of cooking is not something I am looking for but If I can learn something from him, then i'll be happy. Perhaps people playing with the pastes will spark a moments revelation.

:)

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 09:39 PM »
I wouldnt hold out too much hope for the pastes, i made my usualu balti tonight and added a tblsp pataks balti paste, just to see what it would be like, tbh i personally thought it ruined what would otherwise have been a fine balti.
Its got vineger in it as a preservative, and even though i was pretty sure that adding vinegar to a recipe that otherwise wouldnt have it, would make it bitter/tart i tried anyway. And guess what? it made it bitter/tart.
Add onto that the fact that its naff, you wont be surprised with the end result.
Cmon everyone, i mean for bloody years now weve been trying to make a DECENT curry out of real ingredients because weve already tried the shop bought pastes and got p'd off with them. I have a recipe somewhere for balti masala paste, ill sort it out and put it on here tomorrow, trust me its a thousand times better than pataks shite.

©2024 Curry Recipes