Author Topic: Dipuraja's Tandoori Chicken Marinade  (Read 26994 times)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Tandoori Chicken Marinade
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 11:14 PM »
originally by P&J
Cmon everyone, i mean for bloody years now weve been trying to make a DECENT curry out of real ingredients because weve already tried the shop bought pastes and got p'd off with them

That's exactly the problem for me...I don't want Indian home cooking recipes, there's more than enough sites out there for those family recipes (I use those for side dishes though ;) ) nor am I particularly interested in how to make a modern day take-away curry either as I believe I can make far better tasting curries without the shortcuts and stopgaps, I want an old style BIR curry, circa 1980 made with fresh ingredients that deliver the same tastes from back then before they started with all the pre-made pastes...Having said that, I haven't tried dipuraja's recipes because of the lack of quantities posted, but as I see dipuraja's now altered his recipes on youtube, I'll give them a go (thanks for the headsup on that too lol).

I have to admit though, that my fave madras recipe uses a teaspoon of patak's balti paste :o :-\ ;D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 11:22 PM »
I have some paste left in the fridge following a bout of curiosity and now don;t use it except when i'm far to lazy to do anything else.

Though last night I did use the tandoori paste to make guess what, tandoori chicken. I added to it, some tikka masala paste  as I couldn't resist. The end result was good but no mile stone. Much to Pete's amusement, it was tart!

I just don't think the answer is in a jar and never will be.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 11:37 PM by Axe »

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 11:32 PM »
I use the tandoori paste for Blade's tikka recipe ;D those are the only two pastes I use, though I do buy catering tubs of a vindaloo paste but I only use the oil from it, never the paste itself lol

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 07:22 AM »
I was just wondering do you know where to buy online the catering sizes of the pastes?

can't help on this one - we have several really good asian shopping areas quite local and tend to pick up when passing.

the place in stoke for example was packed with the catering jars. so too was bolton.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 07:30 AM »
i understand peoples concerns for sure.

i used pataks tikka paste (not sure which one now) a while ago to make tikka in a hurry and it was a real let down. tasting it off the spoon it was real rubbish.

i am pretty sure my local TA don't use bought pastes - this is however an opportunity to explore what Dipuraja is offering ie an "insight into the BIR".

hence i've got to try it. i also now appreciate how important proportion is and the paste is only part of the Dipuraja recipes. methi for me is a good example as i'm starting to use it more and more - too much and the wheel comes off

i also went through all of the ingredients on all the jars i've bought and there is nothing that i don't already use.

Offline string28

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 12:44 PM »
Hi JerryM
Thanks....Will keep looking online might have to email pasco to see if they will sell to the public.
The way dipuraja's shown us is great.
I think if people try this way they might be suprised.
I know a lot love the old style of BIR me too! But this for me so far is close to the indian TA.
If we can learn from these recipes then maybe we can get closer to "the holy grail" of BIR cooking.
If we can find a way to do the pastes our selfs then maybe this might get us closer.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 06:59 PM »
string28,

the pasco brand appears real new - i've not seen before at the Asian Supermarket and now they have them all on offer - as if it's a startup promotion. i think it's only time before they become widely available. i could post if u get stuck.

for me the old style is quite different to what u get today in BIR. also there is big variation across BIR today.

i'm real looking fwd to trying Dipuraja's recipes and method out. i'm not totally convinced as i'm sure he's showing us all that he can whilst protecting commercial interests. i'll try side by side the video and what i do as my norm (learnt from trial and error).

i've not been able to get the tikka paste locally and may have to delay this bit until i get further a field to manchester or bolton.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 08:12 AM »
i've managed to get the tikka paste.

i've also had chance to taste all the individual jars. i can't say i liked any of the individual pastes. they really do taste rubbish. the kebab paste was probably my fav.

i've made a small batch of Dipuraja's tikka marinade and will taste later after being in the fridge overnight.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 10:18 AM »
have now tasted the made past - it having been in the fridge overnight. very taken aback as to how good it tastes c/w to the jars - i need to clarify this:

i know the taste of CA's and lasan and both pastes don't taste good - they are "concentrated marinades" and not meant to taste good. dipuraja's on the face of it is therefore no different.

it does immediately answer a question that i had - why if all these BIR's use pataks why don't BIR's use them for the what the label says ie why not use pataks "tikka" paste straight out the jar with no additions.

Dipuraja's tikka paste even though it's in the same ballpark as CA's and lasan it does taste very different - down solely to the use of the pastes. vinegar comes through very strongly along with cumin and high salt.

i am sure they will make a significant difference in the taste down to their strength - it's just a question as to which way it'll go. verdicts still out.

nb
i did not use the food colouring and used the video proportions. on the lemon dressing 5ml = 3 sec pour

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 12:55 PM »
im assuming this is the recipe that came out top in the taste test?. ( just wondering why so long since a comment on here, considering it came out top). Anyhow im getting all the stuff together to make this.

where the heck do i get pasco paste online?

perhaps you guys that did the taste test can point me in the right direction. Im on an island in the north of scotland so cant get to a asian supply shop.

©2024 Curry Recipes