Author Topic: What is the differences between tomato "paste", "puree" and "passata"?  (Read 16989 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
As we all know, there are various forms of tomatoes available:

- fresh
- tinned
- puree
- pasatta
- paste

In particular, when a recipe specifies "puree" or "paste" or "passata", what is the difference, what should be used and why?

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
I'm not convinced Passata has any place in Indian cooking. It seems to have been developed more for the Italian market.

From some recent posts is seems the BIR's create their own tomato puree / paste. I think there is only one tomato based ingredient that is called either puree / concentrate / passata depending on the chef. The stuff the BIR's use is possibly not just out of a jar, but could well be created by simmering puree / concentrate in herbs or spices for a long time.

I do exactly the same when cooking up a batch of pizza sauce and the results taste lovely.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Of the several kitchens that I have filmed, photographed or just observed the chefs cooking in they have all used large tins of White Tower tomato paste, most have watered it down somewhat, there was one who didn't water it down at all,
Something like Sainsburys Tomato puree is the same thing in that its tomatoes and nothing else, double concentrated,

I have never seen anything resembling pasata in a BIR kitchen,

Here we go again....one man's paste is another's puree,
just as ....................one man's flour is another's powder.

Mick

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Hi Mick

Did you see them taking it out ofthe tub and into the curry? The kitchens I have seen usually have a plastic tub of puree which could mean it has been modified.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
By definition, I have always considered Paste to be a thicker drier version of a puree. Then followed by passata, the smooth blended version of tinned chopped tomatoes, without the seeds of course.

I would agree that Passata is not a likely contender to be found in a BIR Kitchen.

The tub of puree I was shown recently didn't resemble puree or paste which I would describe as having a grainy appearance. The 'puree' was more like a tomato sauce.

I know it had been prepared, whether this was with a puree to start with and then blended further with oil etc., I have no idea. Personally, I would describe it as a concentrated sauce as opposed a puree.

You say tomayto, I say tomarto. ;D

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Axe

Can you ask them about this on Thursday while the Bhajis are cooking? It could be another small piece of the jigsaw if it turns out the BIR's cook spices into their tomato puree.

Ta

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
I will do my best Chris, I just hope its not to hectic.  :)

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Hi Mick

Did you see them taking it out ofthe tub and into the curry? The kitchens I have seen usually have a plastic tub of puree which could mean it has been modified.

With the one chef who did not water it down, yes it went from tin to curry pan,
"The kitchens I have seen usually have a plastic tub of puree which could mean it has been modified"

Why didn't I think of that? ::) :)
I have always made it a point to taste the tomato paste(watered down) when it is in the tub/pot that it has been watered down in, I have been in kitchens when they are preparing for that evenings cooking and have seen it mixed with water, nothing added and then used in the curries,
I have not noticed anything different in the taste other than the tomato, I can only speak for the kitchens I have been in to.

Cheers,

Mick

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Hi Guys,

To my mind, tomato paste and puree are one of the same thing, the difference being that some is labelled 'double concentrate' and some are not!

By definition, a puree is a solid, blended to form a liquid or semi solid.  To that end, passata could well be described as a puree. 

In Italy, passata is nothing more than blended and sieved tomatoes.  The version that you can purchase in the supermarkets, sometimes have extra herbs or spices in them.  To me, that makes them a Ragu, and yet they describe them as Passata!  Confusing or what? ???

I do think that passata can have a place in BIR cooking, especially in the base! 

I think that it is the KD base that calls for blended tomatoes (passata) not that the KD base is the benchmark ::)

Some bases ask for a tin of toms in it, so when you blend at the final stage, what ever toms are in there, effectively become passata!

Just to muddy the waters further, does tomato ketchup have a place in BIR ;D  don't the Indians call it 'Catsup'  ?

Ray

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Passata - not BIR for sure. i've used it for a while and thought it was an ingredient. i no longer buy it.

Paste - the double concentrate. the white tower does taste better than the supermarket brand but u can't tell the difference in the final dish. i went through a phase of watering but now add straight out the tin. the local TA does have a tray - the paste is not tampered with in any way (it's in the tray purely for ease of reaching it and getting his spoon at it. the only surprise is how little is used just the tip - based on this i use 1 tsp. since dropping the watering down i feel the curries taste better (i don't know why as i add base during spice frying which is effectively water). the only thing i can think of is that it sort of collects up the spice better.

Puree - is paste

Ketchup - no idea. i don't use for certain

©2024 Curry Recipes