Author Topic: IG Onion Bhaji (Kitchen Demonstration)  (Read 52153 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: IG Onion Bhaji (Kitchen Demonstration)
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2010, 02:35 PM »
SS, the Recipe is correct and the measurements whilst broken down from the main recipe are as close as I feel they can be.

I would suggest that you are used to a different style of onion bhaji if you feel the flavour is lacking. Have you got pictures of your finished bhaji?

I often add a chopped green chilli to give it a 'hit' but the flavour is always full enough for me. Did you use the IG Spice Mix?

You should be aiming to get the inside cooked as the one shown in the demo and Chris' last photo.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2010, 03:08 PM »
SS,

I say the texture for me was perfect but the flavour is a real let down!

Wow, this is a real shocker.  I've made loads of bhajis and the one thing about these that puts them above all the rest was the depth of flavour.

I used the IG spice mix just to make sure that it was as it was meant to be.  My only error was that I added too much gram flour which made them slightly too heavy apart from that, they was on the money, for me anyway.

Ray :o

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2010, 04:24 PM »
Here's a couple of pics:

I can see why you might be suggesting I'm after some different type of bhaji but, the problem is that I've had many BIR bhajis and none of them has had this lack of flavour. It's clear to me that it is underspiced, but as it's had such good reviews I can only think that this underspiced version is quite common - it's just that I've never had it apparently!  ???

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2010, 06:05 PM »
If I may be so bold SS, There are a couple things that I notice from your pics. Mainly because through trial and error, I have had similar results.

It looks like the onion wasn't quite worked enough to be supple to form the bhaji properly. Hence the very loose make up of the bhaji itself. It is very hard to explain without showing someone but once worked, the onion becomes pliable enough to be gently formed. The final shaped bhaji prior to cooking should resemble a ball quite smooth and feel quite heavy. Though it is very important not to over work the onion.

More importantly, the bhaji seems to be holding alot of residual oil. This I found, is due to one of two possible things or a mix of both. Firstly, if the bhaji is cooked on too lower a heat, the batter does not seal properly and then soaks up alot of oil. Secondly, old oil can have a similar effect despite being to temperature. What is characteristic of both and this is the important bit, is that a loss of flavour will be noted.

Finally, to me the bhaji in the picture is over cooked. It could be that you have compensated for the points I have raised about the wrong temperature or old oil. Again this has the effect of reducing the final flavour as any spicing is cooked out. As you have noticed, there is a very fine balance of spicing in this recipe.

The only other thing that is vital to this recipe being cooked properly, is the consistency of the batter and ratio of batter to onion. I can not stress enough how sticky the batter should be and in ratio to onion, be just enough to hold the bhaji together.

Please don't think I am trying to teach you suck eggs, I only bring these points to note as I have been there before and know from experience how not to cook a bhaji.

If you persevere with this recipe and more importantly the method of the recipe, I know you will be very pleased with the finished goal, once you reach it.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:38 PM by Axe »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2010, 06:24 PM »
Just to add to that, it is important that you have wet hands when shaping the bhaji as this helps put a 'skin' on it, for the want of a better expression.

The final bhaji should have a bit of a sheen on it when cooked (correct me if I'm wrong Axe) and this is achieved with the wet hands method and gently manipulating the mix into a ball.

Like Axe, SS, I'm not trying to teach you how to suck eggs, as I know how proficient a cook that you are but, my attempt didn't look like yours, they did however, look like the ones from the IG illustrated in Axe's photo's, and the depth of flavour was sublime, very 80's IMO.

Ray :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2010, 06:35 PM »
Just to add to that, it is important that you have wet hands when shaping the bhaji as this helps put a 'skin' on it, for the want of a better expression.

Yes, very much so Ray. The drier batter can only be worked with wet hands which does help to form the bhaji.

It is definitely a game that is won or lost in the methodology. An almost unworkable batter produces that fluffy light interior, whilst the wet hands turns the unworkable batter into a workable batter on the outside.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2010, 06:59 PM »
It looks like the onion wasn't quite worked enough to be supple to form the bhaji properly.

That's definitely the case Axe. I prefer it underworked as I am not aiming for the solid ball type of bhaji. I've never seen the solid ball type yet that doesn't have a slightly undercooked inner and I don't like that. I will try it though next time just to see what happens!

More importantly, the bhaji seems to be holding alot of residual oil.

It must just be the photo Axe because these were without doubt the least oily bhajis I've ever made and certainly less oily than most BIR bhajis! In fact the lack of oiliness was what I particularly liked about them.

Finally, to me the bhaji in the picture is over cooked

True I did overdo this one a bit. I actually made a better one but gobbled it down before taking pics!

As you have noticed, there is a very fine balance of spicing in this recipe.

I just can't agree with that Axe, the spicing is far far too little and no amount of any other technique will change that.

If you persevere with this recipe and more importantly the method of the recipe, I know you will be very pleased with the finished goal, once you reach it.

I'm pretty pleased now to be honest. This will never be a good bhaji for me though because, as I said, no amount of tinkering of technique refinement is going to address the lack of spice.

It would appear that we are indeed after very different things!   ???

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2010, 07:07 PM »
SS,

When you say underspiced, do you mean not hot enough or that the variety of spicing is not enough?  Either way, you can adjust that to suit, as you say, you are happy pretty much with everything else!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2010, 07:39 PM »
SS,

When you say underspiced, do you mean not hot enough or that the variety of spicing is not enough?  Either way, you can adjust that to suit, as you say, you are happy pretty much with everything else!

It's both Ray but mainly a lack of quantity of spice and therefore flavour. If I'd got this from a BIR I'd be really unimpressed as far as the flavour goes.

If you just look at the quantities involved...4 onions to 1.5  tsp of spice! I actually didn't need to make these to know that I would be unhappy with the flavour but I felt I had to make them at least once to spec just in case I was wrong.

You're right in that the spicing type and quantity can be adjusted to suit and that's exactly what I'll be doing but, I'm amazed that anyone finds these flavoursome. I wish more people would try them and report so that I can see if it's just me or not!

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2010, 07:46 PM »
Until you cook them properly SS, you will not know how they are meant to taste. Perhaps you would be better off trying Dipurajah's bhaji, it's probably a recipe more to your liking. Good luck with your quest.

©2024 Curry Recipes