Author Topic: IG Onion Bhaji (Kitchen Demonstration)  (Read 52185 times)

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: IG Onion Bhaji (Kitchen Demonstration)
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2010, 12:02 PM »
Will,

i'd go for cooking anything the day before. i know fresh is best but cooking the curry and then using the microwave to reheat produces a decent result (u'd have to be really on the ball to spot the difference other than with a side by side comparison). just got top be careful with the meat.

on the bhajis - from what Axe's say's on the forming - this must be key. overwork and they are too dense, underwork them and they fall apart too much during the transfer to the fryer. something to practise.

Thanks for that Jerry.  I will prepare most things the day before apart from the meat.  This I will bbq (chicken & lamb tikka) on the day.  The Bhajis I will try to work more and also make the day before and give them their 1st fry.

cheers

Will

Offline michaelpratt

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2010, 12:28 PM »
I don't think re-heating meat is a problem, the problem is inadequately heating it so that bacteria are able to multiply. If you invest in a kitchen thermometer there is a formula (something like heating above 60c for 5 minutes - someone must know), and providing the meat / curry has been adequately refigerated there will not be a problem.

Re-heating rice is a different proposition altogether. I read once that the majority of food poisoning cases in the UK were down either to cold or re-heated rice or lettuce (bizarrely). Left over rice gets binned in my house.

Perhaps we need a food hygiene thread at some point??

Mike

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2010, 07:17 AM »
Will,

i'd even go for fully cooking the bhajis if u need (they're not bad reheated in the microwave or even perhaps in the oven if u have a lot).

the comment on the meat was aimed that u can easily over cook it in the microwave and i feel microwaves tend to make meat tough as well. keeping it separate and mixing in at serving is the way i get round the problem.

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2010, 08:31 AM »
Jerry,
I will do it all today and keep it in the fridge but the meat I will bbq or grill on the day just before serving up.

Cheers

Will

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2010, 03:00 PM »
I made a batch of these today though as I've had no luck in finding aniseed, i used fennel seed in place...I made up the mix as spec (minus the aniseed of course) and cooked a couple to test the spicing, I have to say I did find them to be underspiced but I rectified this by simply adding more :) though I didn't add more salt. Result was very pleasing indeed, lovely crisp bhajis and an improvement on my old recipe which I was more than happy with.

Thanks for the recipe Axe ;D I'll definitely be making more of these :) even without the aniseed :P

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2010, 03:17 PM »
I'm glad you enjoyed them Domi. They are mildly spiced I would agree though the Aniseed does boost them surprisingly, where the fennel doesn't seem to. The overall level of spice is personal choice, I simply add fresh green chilli to give it a bit more kick, but wouldn't be against adding more spice mix and chilli powder.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed them. :)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2010, 03:25 PM »
I'll be adding the fresh chilli next time round, Axe. I had to put them away as I'd have had none left for tonight's curry lol so 'im indoors is a lover of them too ;D

**EDIT** piccy!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 03:40 PM by Domi »

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2010, 06:27 PM »
Brilliant technique - they turned out fantastic. Given what others have been saying I added a lot more more spice mix - and also fresh chillies and spinach (I just like them). Really simple and spot on. Thanks very much for posting this recipe.

Cheers

BB

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2010, 07:03 PM »
Spinach eh? I'll mention it to the wife, I reckon she'll want to try that. Glad it worked for you Bobby. :)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2010, 08:57 PM »
Spinach eh? I'll mention it to the wife, I reckon she'll want to try that. Glad it worked for you Bobby. :)

Thanks Axe, I thought it worth mentioning, the spinach is what I think has mine look noticeable darker, albeit otherwise similar to the chefs results, so if you decide to use spinach too don't worry that you've over cooked them - it darkens them up a fair bit compared to onion alone.

©2024 Curry Recipes