Author Topic: IG Onion Bhaji (Kitchen Demonstration)  (Read 51437 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: IG Onion Bhaji (Kitchen Demonstration)
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 12:09 AM »
When I asked what they were, the answer was 'aniseed'. It may be possible there is another seed that they refer to as aniseed as opposed to Fennel, but for me at least, Fennel fits the bill.

Could they actually be aniseed, which is similar to, but different than, fennel?  They have a more subtle taste (probably a good thing, if used in an onion bhaji).

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 12:44 AM »
When I asked what they were, the answer was 'aniseed'. It may be possible there is another seed that they refer to as aniseed as opposed to Fennel, but for me at least, Fennel fits the bill.

Could they actually be aniseed, which is similar to, but different than, fennel?  They have a more subtle taste (probably a good thing, if used in an onion bhaji).

Good shout CA, they do look very similar and they are slighlty smaller than fennel seeds, what dya think Axe?

Ray

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 12:52 AM »
Axe - fantastic post! Any chance they would let you do a similar thing with their curry base, or a finished curry?

Has anyone taken a stab at trying to scale this down?

-- Josh

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 01:07 AM »
Hi Josh,

I think Axe has scaled it down in his own post on his Onion bahji recipe.  Not the first recipe, the one he post's a little further on.  Heres the link anyway http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4396.0

Ray

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 04:19 AM »
I think Axe has scaled it down in his own post on his Onion bahji recipe.

I can only guess that this was Axe's recipe before he went to the BIR. The ingredients are more complex than the one in the BIR thread.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 09:33 AM »
Cory / Ray

When I look at the seed they used, it does look like a very slightly smaller seed to fennel. Characteristically, its tastes as the name suggests, as aniseed, but you get a slight hit of heat at the very back of your mouth after the taste has dissipated.

I have now Googled aniseed and have a better idea of what it looks like. Looking closer at the seed in the onion mix, it is not uniform at all. Most definitely, there is aniseed in it and but also look like fennel seed is in it too. I will study the hi-res image tonight when I get home and make a conclusion.

When all is said and done, they refer to it as aniseed, so I will change the ingredient in the initial recipe above.

Josh,

I have had a stab at breaking this down in the topic Ray mentions. You need to scroll down through it to post six. This should do it: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4396.msg40688#msg40688

Having been given an open invite to return, I hope to see the base made up from start to finish. I will endeavour to take pictures and post it up as I have done here.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 09:47 AM by Axe »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 09:57 AM »
Hi Axe,

You're doing a cracking job with this mate, keep up the good work!

Ray

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 12:06 PM »
Axe

BRILLIANT POST - for me this is the best post I've ever seen on any forum. I genuinely cant wait to give these a go.

The temperature can't have been 160 degrees if they cooked them for 8 - 10 minutes, they would be black. I think the optimum temperature must be between 125 degrees (any lower and they wouldn't crisp at all) and 150 degrees. I'm happy to try out a range until I get them just right.

Looking forward to rolling up my sleeves this weekend!

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 12:37 PM »
Chris,

I am not sure about the temperature. The chef did mention it was important to have the oil hot and pointed to the gas being on full, you could clearly see the burner was on high.

You must also figure into the equation that the picture showing them cooking in the pot is a little deceiving. What you see bobbing on the surface covers the fact that were just as many below them. This will reduce both temperature a risk of burning.

I refer back to the potato match stick test.

If it would great if you can identify the temperature in your tests. :)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 01:00 PM »
I'll start with the 8 - 10 minute cook time and work backwards. I imagine the oil is at 160 when they go in but must drop right down to around the 125 mark with all those added together, it will then slowly make its way back up again.

I like the similarities between this method and Dipurajas. The idea of salt last, only adding a coating of batter and not squeezing too hard to allow a network of air holes throughout (not to mention the addition of potato!!!) all come through in both recipes.

Out of interest, you mentioned the onions were sliced the day before and left in the fridge overnight. Were the aniseed / fennel seeds in the onions overnight too or were they added literally just before they were brought into the kitchen? I think to do a proper test I'll slice some onions this evening ready for tomorrrow.

©2024 Curry Recipes