Author Topic: anybody have curry sauce recipe from TV?  (Read 11799 times)

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: anybody have curry sauce recipe from TV?
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2005, 08:53 PM »
Hi Darth,
Thanks for posting this so quickly, much appreciated.
Would you say this recipe could be scaled down to say half the quantity without losing anything?

Ray

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2005, 09:02 PM »
It was !! ( originally a 30 Onion base ) ;D
What i suggest is make the base as is, as you can freeze & use it for any curry you wish.
The final dish ....say you used only 1.5 liter base. You could halve all ingredients.. maybe Ive not done it.
But have found once i deviate too much from an original recipe it loses in translation. why i don't know, i think its back to the old margin for error factor, as my huge batches( dirty minds working here  ;D) seem to all turn out ace.
Try it mate & see, let us know of your end result.

DARTHPHALL  8) 

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2005, 05:55 PM »
Hi Darth,

Can you just enlighten us how much water you are adding in total as the recipe does not make this clear. Also how much finished base do you end up with?

Ray

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2005, 06:28 PM »
Sorry Ray I'm an arss !!
When you put in the spices just put in enough water to stop it going dry & burning as you fill the pot, when all ingredients are in the pot add enough water to the same level of said ingredients.
This makes .... I'm guessing as i did it a month or so ago, I'm trying to remember how many liter bags this made :D.
Approximately 15-20 liters/bags.
This was originally a 30 Onion base, but i reduced down to 15 but kept all other ingredients as if it were a 30 Onion base.
Hope this helps. ;D.

DARTHPHALL........................... 8)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2005, 08:48 PM »
And also this should be eaten the day after, as we all agree that cooking the curry overloads the senses & the Curry doesn't taste or smell as good on the same day as cooking it.

Yours      DARTHPHALL      8)

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2005, 08:59 PM »
Sorry Ray I'm an arss !!
When you put in the spices just put in enough water to stop it going dry & burning as you fill the pot, when all ingredients are in the pot add enough water to the same level of said ingredients.
This makes .... I'm guessing as i did it a month or so ago, I'm trying to remember how many liter bags this made :D.
Approximately 15-20 liters/bags.
This was originally a 30 Onion base, but i reduced down to 15 but kept all other ingredients as if it were a 30 Onion base.
Hope this helps. ;D.

? ?DARTHPHALL........................... 8)

Cheers Darth,

Guess I am gonna have to get me a bigger pot!

Ray

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2005, 09:07 PM »
And they say size ain't everything..but here in curry world.. The bigger the better ... ;D

DARTH........... :P

Offline Nessa

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2005, 11:34 PM »
Thanks for that info Nessa, I never thought of doing that. You have made me curious about the Asda there, I better check the ghee price out? - i bought a small can from the local ASda and it was cheaper than any indian store!!? Our local Asda has a very small supply of indian supplies.? Can you believe the reason I passed up the curry leaves packet at the Leicester indian stores a month ago was because there were too many in the packet?? Next time I wont make that mistake as I have frozen the leaves previously too with great results!? You just wash them and let the water dry...then just put into a ziploc bag and into the freezer - much much better than dried leaves!!?
Thank you so much for this info - will find the Asda in leicester next time i go - in the next 2 weeks for sure!

I hope you manage to find it, it is some way out of town. (I live in one of the villages nearby).  Maybe we will be sorting through the curry leaves at the same time!  :)

Offline fourmations

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2005, 05:06 PM »
hi all

I tried the jamie curry as posted in this thread and thought it was excellent
Its not you BIR type - but I thought it was a really good and a very different flavour altogether
to the one we are used to

my two (euro) cents

niall

ireland

©2024 Curry Recipes