Author Topic: anybody have curry sauce recipe from TV?  (Read 11687 times)

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
anybody have curry sauce recipe from TV?
« on: August 27, 2005, 08:11 PM »
I saw last night that Jamie Oliver made a curry sauce that deviated very much from anything i have ever seen in the UK.  I missed all the repeats today as I was out.  I assumed his recipe was online but none of his recipes are.  Does anybody have his cookbooks and is willing to post his curry recipe?  It had curry leaves and mustard seeds in it!  I saw his cookbook in a bookstore but didnt want to buy it just for that 1 recipe.  Another interesting thing is that he added the raw chicken strips directly into the sauce to let it cook there.
Thanks!!

Payal

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: anybody have curry sauce recipe from TV?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 08:16 PM »
What book is it from?

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 08:27 PM »
Never mind..I should have searched on the USA foodtv.com site....I found it there!!!!  If anyone else wants it, i can probably copy and paste it here.  Thank you Mark.

Payal

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 10:51 AM »
If it is the curry that I tried it was absolute rubbish.  I just made the sauce rather than using the chicken and wasting it.  My instinct was right, it was disgusting!

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 04:21 PM »
That is surprising!  It is probably because everyone here is used to the "north indian" spices whereas his recipe is a south indian style dish - plus, it doesnt have garlic.  It is what we would call a gravy, it is much more authentic but definitely not what I think a BIR curry is.  I will try it this week and post my opinion too.  People used to the greasy, garlicy "curry" wont like this I am afraid.  This kind of gravy is what we would use traditionally with vegetables in some indian dishes.  But I dont think it should have been termed a "curry" by british standards.

Payal

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 05:26 PM »
I`m actually drastically reducing the amount of oil i use in my BIR clones so far Ive got a 99.9% copy with less than 200ml veg..oil in a batch that makes 30 curries & that includes the second stage final curry.

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 05:43 PM »
Thats great!  I feel so much better about eating gravy things when I dont put too much oil in them!

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 08:04 PM »
I`m actually drastically reducing the amount of oil i use in my BIR clones so far Ive got a 99.9% copy with less than 200ml veg..oil

Hi Darth,

So what recipe do you use for this one then ? Is it on this site?
I presume when you say 99.9% copy you mean it is just 0.1% off from being the best you have created which is about as good as anyone has managed, or is it?
What do you reckon that little 0.1% could be???
It must drive you nuts trying to find the answer!

I do think that a good amount of oil is an integral part to a base sauce and it carries flavours through the mix. It always separates and can be spooned off after.

Regards

Ray

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 08:41 PM »
I saw last night that Jamie Oliver made a curry sauce that deviated very much from anything i have ever seen in the UK.? I missed all the repeats today as I was out. Does anybody have his cookbooks and is willing to post his curry recipe?

Hi Payal,
It is in his book "Happy Days With The Naked Chef".

Here it is, although I can't say how this one tastes as have not made it. You have read the replies so far and they don't seem too promising.
As much as I like a lot of Jamie Oliver stuff ( his Chillie-Con-Carne is wicked ) I think some times he gets away with murder just because he is such a household name! (Pat Chapman take note!!!)

The Base Sauce:-

5 Tbsp's Veg Oil: 2 tsp Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds: 3 Green Chillies, sliced: 1 Handful Curry Leaves (I suppose fresh): 2 Thumb sized pieces fresh Ginger, grated: 3 Onions, Chopped: 1 tsp Chilli pwdr: 1 tsp Turmeric: 6 Tomatoes, chopped: 400 ml tin Coconut Milk: Salt

Method:- Heat Oil, add Mustard Seeds. When they pop add Fenugreek Seeds, Green Chillis, Curry Leaves and Ginger. Fry for a few minutes. Using a food processor chop Onions and add to same pan, cook for 5 mins until Onions are soft and light brown. Add Chilli Pwdr and Turmeric. Puree the Tomatoes, add to the pan. cook 2 mins. Add about a cup of water and the Coconut Milk. Simmer 5 mins until the consistency of double cream. Season carefully with salt.

This is then the base.

For Fish Version:-
4 x 8oz Haddock Fillets: 1 knob Tamarind Paste or 1 tsp Tamarind Syrup.
Add Fish and Tamarind to made sauce and cook for 6 mins. Add Baby Spinach and fresh Coriander at the end if required.

Chicken Version:-

4 Chicken Breasts sliced into 1cm strips: 1 Tbsp Coriander Seeds, crushed
Stir fry Chicken and Coriander Seeds until lightly coloured, add Sauce and simmer for 10 mins

Vegetarian Version:-

Use a variety of mixed Vegetables chopped.
Add these to the start of the sauce when you add the Onions. Continue to cook and simmer until tender.

There you go!

Ray

Offline John

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 11:02 PM »
Good News everybody!!!!

I have the Jamie Oliver naked chef2 cookbook in pdf, i've had it for sometime but haven't tried any of the recipes in it yet because i lost it after a re-install, anyway i've just found it again on my hard-drive so here it is:

Note: the recipe your after is on page 43

----------------------------------
Bad News everybody!!!
This file is 590KB and the maximum allowed to be uploaded is 500KB.
Jamie Oliver The Naked Chef 2.pdf
---------------------------------
Good News again!!!
I've zipped it up for you all so it's now only 464KB and free to download from here.
--------------------------------
Bad news again!!!
 Jamie Oliver The Naked Chef 2.zip.
You cannot upload that type of file. The only allowed extensions are txt,doc,pdf,jpg,gif,mpg,png.
--------------------------------
What can i do???

©2024 Curry Recipes