Author Topic: Which Chilli powder.  (Read 4892 times)

Offline lardman

• Chef
    • View Profile
Which Chilli powder.
« on: March 31, 2010, 11:51 PM »
You know that look on someones face when you've made their dinner too hot..

I've been using Natco chilli powder as I mainly make madras and vindaloo and I've been fine with it, but I had cause to do some of CA's mint raita at the weekend.  I put at most 1/4 of a teaspoon in and it was far too sharp.

Looking around for alternative - a more mild solution, all the chilli powder I see at the Supermarkets has other stuff (garlic, black pepper) etc added.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Which Chilli powder.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 12:38 AM »
Hi Lardman,

1/4 of a tsp doesn't sound a lot to me, especially for a Madras or Vindaloo.  Is it a new packet?  Does it say which type of chilli the powder was ground from? 

I usually use Rajah chilli powder, they do a hot version and a normal strength version.  Maybe this is something that Nacto do also?

I can only think that you have picked up a packet of exta hot by mistake?

Sorry couldn't been of more help

Ray :)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 12:41 AM »
Lardman,

Check out this link http://www.asian-spices.co.uk/ground-spices/117-extra-hot-chilli-powder-natco.html

Is it possible that this is the stuff that you have used?

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 12:51 AM »
I bought some Rajah Chilli Powder from Tesco. It was hot, I mean really hot. Almost orange in colour we refined measurement6s down to 1/4 teaspoon in recipes and still it was too hot. I binned it as a biological hazard in the end. :-X

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 01:00 AM »
Axe,

Daft question I know but, was it labelled 'hot' or 'extra hot'?  I guess like fresh chilli's, chilli powder can vary in strength but you would expect a level of consistancy from the major players, Rajah, Nacto, Eastend, TRS and so on....?

Ray

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 09:26 AM »
Ray,

It was simply labelled Chilli.

I can't stress how hot this stuff was, I really should have complained. But the for the sake of the pound or so it cost, I didn't.

This stuff was nuclear though, I kid you not. It was more like a bottle of Naga Sauce, you know the ones with warning labels on them. "Danger 8m Scovilles"

Offline lardman

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 11:20 AM »
That looks like the stuff Razor, although I didn't pay too much attention at the time. Seems fine in main dishes (well fine to me anyway) but I do like it on the hot side.

It was CA's Riata that it just wasn't right in.  Just wondered if there was a brand that was particularly mild you guys used for that sort of dish.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 12:18 PM »
Hi Lardman,

I've just checked CA's Raita and it ask's for 1/2 tsp chilli powder (just to add a bit of bite)  Got to admit, that seems quite a lot with the amount of yoghurt used but you only used 1/4 tsp, and it was still mad hot?

Personally, I wouldn't put chilli powder in a raita or mint sauce dip, as I use them to off set the heat of any starters that I cook, i.e: seekh kebabs, bajhis and so on.....

You could try hot paprika which isn't as hot as standard chilli powder but hotter than standard paprika?  See the link  http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Herbs_And_Spices/Schwartz_Hot_Paprika_34g.html  This brand is Schwartz and is way too expensive but you should find a much cheaper version in any asian super market.

Keep us posted on how you get on

Ray

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 12:21 PM »
Hi lardman,

Try some of this stuff

You might have to go to an Asian grocer for it or try online HERE.

Great stuff, gives everything a good colour, goes well in marinades as well, has nice flavour too.
When Asian chefs mention 'paprika' it is usually deggi mirch they are referring to.

Hope this helps
CoR

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 12:31 PM »
CoR,

That stuff is NUCLEAR in comparison to standard chilli powder :o

Maybe this stuff would be better http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Indian-Food-MDH-Kashmiri-Mirch.html

More like paprika but with a kick :)

©2024 Curry Recipes