Author Topic: What chillis do you use?  (Read 10398 times)

Offline Dylan

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: What chillis do you use?
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 03:25 PM »
I usually use the standard green ones from asian groces. They're cheap as chips and not too hot, meaning they can be eaten whole in dishes like chilli massala.

Offline Dylan

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 06:39 PM »
This sounds interesting, where do you folks get the seeds for these chillis?

Seeds from shop-bought chillies will often germinate (provided the chili was ripe when the seeds harvested). I found chillies would quite often cross-pollinate with other peppers if grown in close proximity, producing massive, mild sweet chillies.

On a related note,
If trying to grow coriander, use seeds from an Asian grocer rather than proper garden centre seeds as they're a tiny fraction of the cost. Alternatively, buy one of the live plants from a supermarket, break up the root ball and transfer to a larger pot with more compost.

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 10:50 PM »
I was told by an Indian lady to soak the coriander seeds first in water and then plant.  Do this every week and plant seeds once a week so that you have a concession of coriander from week to week.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2005, 10:03 AM »
Those chocolate habaneros look awesome! Any chance of posting me some seeds?? ;)

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 03:09 PM »
I was told by an Indian lady to soak the coriander seeds first in water and then plant.? Do this every week and plant seeds once a week so that you have a concession of coriander from week to week.
I've grown coriander several times
I bought a proper bag of seeds from a garden centre
They grew really well, but I couldn't use them all before they went to seed
It seemed very difficult to stagger the crop
I tried growing East End coriander seeds
They grew alright  but were tiny plants
Only about two inches tall!

Offline Chillibotty

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2005, 07:46 PM »
Those chocolate habaneros look awesome! Any chance of posting me some seeds?? ;)

Unfortunately Mark I sell the seeds for a living so I can give them away, specially the Choccy habs, lol

If you want to check the website out I'll PM you the address.

cheers

Gaz

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2005, 08:34 AM »
Sure

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2005, 09:49 AM »
Folks, can one of you detail how I would dry and grind fresh chillies, I presume I bung them in the oven to dry them then I can use my coffee grinder to grind them. What temp and how long in the oven?

Offline John

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2005, 05:49 PM »
Folks, can one of you detail how I would dry and grind fresh chillies, I presume I bung them in the oven to dry them then I can use my coffee grinder to grind them. What temp and how long in the oven?

Well the idea is to dry them and not cook them, so use the lowest heat possible, my oven goes down to 100c, and i've dried chillies cut in half for about 30mins, sometimes it takes longer depending on how much liquid there is in the chilli itself.

Just place the chillies on some tin foil in your oven on the lowest temperature and check after 30mins, then check again every 15mins until you find the right time for your oven and chillies. Just make a note for next time.

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2005, 06:28 PM »
Forgive me for asking a daft question...

Is there an easy way to turn green chillis red ?

I always end up buying too many green chillis and they eventually go stale...could I turn them red ? Is so, I could dry and grind them to produce  home made "chilli power magnifico" :)

©2024 Curry Recipes