Author Topic: Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Biriani  (Read 33945 times)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Biriani
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 04:51 PM »

Saying that, it takes an awful long time to collect a whole chef spoonful of vag oil!

Aye but I'll bet you'll enjoy the harvesting, Chris ;D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 05:00 PM »
Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to what is already prepared on the chopping board that he adds the chopped onion too?

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 05:20 PM »
hi axe it will probably be green pepper finely chopped mate.

regards
gary :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 07:59 PM »
i could not resist knocking the rice bit up. i cooked it in a pan on the kitchen hob.

i used KD1 recipe for the pillau (no Dipuraja version currently available).

the whole thing was done in about 15mins tops. i should point out that i had leftover lasan tikka.

i'm sold on Dipuraja's biryani. i've made it the traditional way for a while now and this well and truly beats it particularly given the speed that u can knock it up. i'll be sticking to the plain curry sauce ie not the veg version per the recipe (simply down to what i'm used to).

i'll try it in a wok and on my stove next time to see if there is any difference (i don't expect there to be).

a key part of the taste of this method is the tikka.

ps i had to add coconut flour into the rice as this is what i'm used to (Dipuraja adds a minute amount to the top of the dish).

the only problem i had was i got sticking to the bottom of the pan - i think this was down to poor equipment (ie pan) and not enough oil

many thanks to our superstar Dipuraja.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 10:12 AM »
i've made this now for a second & third time and well sold on it. the family love it too.

the pillau is currently KD1 (no Dippies version). the madras sauce was the Secret Santa Chilli sauce version (i made 3 off, 1 per person).

the method for making the biryani is exactly to Dipuraja's spec. i had 1 off complaint that the almond was not chopped fine enough (i will buy flakes next time in stead of whole).

i also used CA's tikka as the family had rebelled against Dippies (they are real heathen's).

going fwd i need to work on the pillau or get inspiration from Dipuraja. i've tried 2 methods. first: rinse rice in 3 changes of water, fry whole spice quickly then add water and rice, boil for 3 mins then drain - this seems to produce the best overall. second: the covered method - this produces greater whole spice flavour but sticky rice.

on next go i'm going to add a 1tsp of my Tgad2007 roasted whole spice when adding the mix powder when assembling the biryani as this would simplify the pillau rice making.

ps the methi really works well in this dish - i found myself x2 the spec on my 3rd go.

i've had the best curry week possible this week having cooked 9 off curries and 2 off biryani. many thanks to Dipuraja who for me remains real star. u have to watch what he does in terms of what we already know as he is clearly taking a commercial safeguard in many areas.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 04:00 PM »
i've had the best curry week possible this week having cooked 9 off curries and 2 off biryani.

Good god Jerry that deserves some serious respect, just for effort if nothing else!  ;)
I'm lucky if I get to cook two a week just now.  :'(

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 10:24 AM »
Secret Santa,

i find that most of the effort is in the prep (base, g/g etc). when u have all this to hand (as in the case of the BIR) the last bit of frying the dish is a real joy.

i've also got back into pillau rice which i've not made for ages - making a real nice change from naan.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 07:23 PM »
i'm finding that i'm making this a lot mainly down to the ease & speed (and healthiness if u keep the oil low - been using 1 tsp which i accept won't give u BIR but the result ain't bad).

main thing is that i'm going to have to eat humble pie (again following the methi conversion) - i'm loving adding the dried fruit (using raisins as these are to hand but the sultana in the pukka recipe would be even better).

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 12:05 PM »
Hi,

After my success with Dip's Balti I am going to have a go at this soon,  looks good.

Will

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 07:32 PM »
Will,

looking fwd to how u get on and comparing notes. the Dipuraja burn point is something i think i now understand - i stop frying the effectively dry spice when i can smell the aroma. i'm sort very gun ho with this stage now and feel pushing the fry a little helps develop the taste better in the rice. i still keep in the back of my head though that u got to be careful not to burn it for real.

©2024 Curry Recipes