Author Topic: Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Balti  (Read 39481 times)

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Balti
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2010, 09:14 AM »
Hi Razor,

I know what you mean it is a bit of a mish mash but I dont think there was a great deal of difference to the base & mix powder & Dip's base and mix powder.  Blades tikka is good so I dont think it would make a difference at all to the Balti.  In the video he does start cooking with a hot pan so I presume he does this with them all and not a cold pan as he did for his first few videos.  I could be wrong tho (I usually am ::) ;D)
The final dish I would happily of paid for in a resteraunt & I would have recommended it to friends without hesitation

Cheers

Will.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 09:45 AM by Willyeckerslike »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2010, 09:34 AM »
Hi Will,

I totally agree with you on Blades tikka, it's really good.  As for everything else, that's what cooking is all about, just finding what is best for you.

Yeah, I do remember one of Dip's video's whereby he used hot oil, and yes, the IG spice mix is very similar to Dip's, so fair play to ya matey.

Ray ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2010, 10:04 AM »
Razor,

i've found that i've really wrestled too with what Dipuraja has shown. so much so that i've effectively put on rose tinted glasses whenever i watch his video (i still keep going back for a quick shufftie too). i'm totally convinced that he's genuine and can cook up there with the best. from my contact with my local TA is very clear there is a commercial line. Dipuraja has not crossed that line - he's got closer than i've ever seen before (Malik being the last). in short it's crucial u put what u already know (the stuff on this site) into what Dippie is showing ie what he's not.

Offline Paul1980

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 01:26 PM »
I made this at the weekend well impressed with the final result also very easy to make.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010, 05:45 PM »
I think Dipu's recipes are fine too. Maybe a bit underrated on this site.

Cheers,

Paul.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 06:38 PM »
I've just rewatched his video for this
This exactly what I see when I visit my chef friends
It looks so easy

Offline dellydel

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2010, 11:07 AM »
Hi guys,

Thinking about giving this a go tonight,but was wondering, the people that have tried this recipe (particularly JerryM who has success with it), have you used Dips method of hot oil in the pan then everything in together, or applied the standard staggered approach to adding ingredients (i.e. oil, puree, spice, base) that is the norm here?

Cheers,

Del

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2010, 01:20 PM »
Dip's ideas look 100% from the curry cooking I've seen.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2010, 07:12 PM »
Hi Delly,

I would say just the opposite to that, I've never seen Dip's method been used before in my life.  One of the TA's I use, have an open kitchen, and they defo used the staggered approach.

For me, a curry should be savoury, I just don't think you could get the savouriness that I'm looking for at least, by using Dip's "all in, boil" method.

I've never tried tried it, so perhaps I shouldn't dismiss it altogether but surely it makes sense, to fry off the G/G paste, then fry off the spices, then add the meat/veg? 

I mean, who likes the taste of boiled garlic :-X

Ray :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2010, 09:11 PM »

I've tried Dip's base and a couple of curries. Standard take away fare (low end). Very typical of curries from burger/pizza/chicken/curry places. I wouldn't recommend it unless this is your standard.

©2024 Curry Recipes