Author Topic: Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Balti  (Read 39497 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Balti
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 09:17 PM »
For me, a curry should be savoury, I just don't think you could get the savouriness that I'm looking for at least, by using Dip's "all in, boil" method.

This is the same as Taz's method. It is substandard but I would recommend it to beginners to avoid the burning of spices.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2010, 10:33 PM »
For me, a curry should be savoury, I just don't think you could get the savouriness that I'm looking for at least, by using Dip's "all in, boil" method.

This is the same as Taz's method. It is substandard but I would recommend it to beginners to avoid the burning of spices.

SS,  Re Taz's method, there is some similarity between Dipurajah's method of all in and reduce but Taz's method is reduced down so that the oil comes into play and then fries the ingredients before the second lot of base is added, as I've tried to tell some members before... if you get the method correct then the curry produced is far from substandard no matter what era of curry utopia you may live in,

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2010, 11:05 PM »
Achmal, you are right. There is a difference in that, as you have explained, the Taz method involves reducing to a great degree, rather than an all-in-one boil down.

I have tried the Taz method and I would definitely recommend it for newbies/beginners because it's almost impossible to burn the spices...and you can apply it to any recipe, not just Taz's.

I still maintain though that it is second class curry compared to frying of the spices/gg paste/ tom paste at the start.

I have tried both ways and the Taz method, at least in my experience, produces a more subdued effect from the spices.

I would not hesitate though to recommend the Taz method as the first one you try if you are new to BIR cooking...or cooking in general.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2010, 11:16 PM »
By the way. I tried to do an interview with Taz after he ate one of his own curries. This was his response. Draw you own conclusions.

Tasmanian Devil Screaming

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2010, 11:17 PM »
Each to their own I suppose, I know when I use Taz's method using his base and mix powder or other combination's of the two, I produce curries that are full flavoured and very enjoyable and I don't find them second class compared to what might be considered the normal approach,
Just as well that we're all different..... :)

I suppose the video was humorous ........ ::)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2010, 09:15 AM »
have you used Dips method of hot oil in the pan then everything in together, or applied the standard staggered approach to adding ingredients (i.e. oil, puree, spice, base) that is the norm here?

dellydel,

on a kitchen hob u won't see a difference in the 2 methods (i don't include Taz as i class it as a 3rd method which i've not tried).

it's well worth anyone doing this comparison "slowboat v hot fry" themselves as it's quite an eyeopener to the BIR technique.

just as an example i spent months perfecting hot dry frying of spices only to realise it was a waste of time.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2010, 09:18 AM »
Regarding Dipu's recipes they produce reasonable curries IMO. Of course I don't cook them like his video demos, and I don't understand why Dipu does either.

Certainly for a BIR beginner as I was 18 months ago the recipes would have immediately elevated my curry cooking to near BIR in one fell swoop. Also there are quite a few recipes provided and good written instructions for these dishes on this site.

Regarding CAs recipes, I must admit they are not my favourites, but it must be clear that a lot of people love his recipes and they are very well presented and the recipe descriptions are very clear.

I would have no hesitation recommending either Dipu or CA recipes to somebody new to BIR cooking and new to this forum.

In fact, what else do we have on this forum? When I started here it took me ages to read page after page and thread after thread to decide where to start. It literally took me weeks to figure it all out before deciding on a base recipe which turned out to be the Sns 2008 one.

Finally, regarding Taz - I think his recipe is superb. The base is an inspiration as it is so different from others on here. To cook the Taz curries properly is not so easy for a beginner as knowing when to stop reducing is the key to the flavour and it demonstrates the importance of reducing your base to allow the smokey caramalized flavours to shine through.

All I'm saying SS is that to rule out CA, Dipu and Taz as formulaic, beginners stuff etc does nothing to help newcomers to this forum to find their feet. What else would you recommend?

Sorry for the long post

Paul

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2010, 09:36 AM »

just as an example i spent months perfecting hot dry frying of spices only to realise it was a waste of time.

Hi JerryM, this is a conclusion I have also reached. I've watched loads of youtube traditional Indian cooking and generally speaking they don't fry dry powdered spices for any length of time in the absence of water.

Paul

Offline logie48

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2011, 02:03 AM »
I made Dipu's CT Balti, CT Masala and Korma using blades' CT recipe. I used Dipu's base aswell.  When making the base, I used about 2 1/2 litres of water, in which I though would ruin the full thing when I first poured it in.  So I cooked it for longer as a result (probably about 2 hours all in), and it turned out superb.

I must say I was impressed with all.  The balti was excellent, the best one i've made to date.  As for the CT Masala and Korma, they were great, but I felt there was a mismatch with some of the ingredients and the base.

Offline Yakmandoo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2011, 04:09 PM »
Hi just a question as im boiling up a pan of Dips base as we speak, the quantities used in the initial video and recipe are for 1 TA tray , so if i was cooking for 3 would i just up everything by 3 ?

©2024 Curry Recipes