Author Topic: Amazing Fish Curry BIR Style  (Read 3968 times)

Offline currytester

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Amazing Fish Curry BIR Style
« on: April 10, 2010, 09:35 AM »
Had a total accident in the kitchen yesterday - I had defrosted what I thought was pork belly slices which turned out to be pork spare ribs and I had already defrosted 2 pieces of cod fillet the previous day that were still in the fridge. Mmmmm.......How do I make a meal of that?

Easy..........

Pork Spare Ribs in Chinese style barbecue sauce (Recipe to follow) and because I still have my latest Indian base sauce mix on the stove - Fish Curry.

Fish Curry

1 Med Onion - diced
2 Tbsp Groundnut Oil
1/2 Tsp Minced Garlic or paste
1/2 Tsp Minced Ginger or ginger paste
1 Tbsp Tomato puree (Double concentrated)
1 Tsp Methi Leaves (dried)
1 Dsp Curry Leaves dried
1 Tsp salt
1/3 block creamed coconut
1/2 cup pineapple juice
2 Ladles curry sauce - see currytesters base sauce recipe
1 Tbsp Granulated sugar
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
2 Large fillets of firm whitefish such as cod, ling,haddock etc
1 Dsp Special spice mix
1/2 Tsp chili powder

Method

1. Heat the oil in a wok or heavy based frying pan
2. Fry onions till golden
3. Add Garlic and ginger and stirfry for 30 secs
4. Add chili powder, special spice mix, Tomato paste, methi and curry leaves and stir fry for 2 mins
6. Add fish and coat with spices than add 2 ladles curry sauce.
7. Add the creamed coconut in slivers then add add the pineapple juice lemon, sugar and salt to taste
8. Bring to simmer and serve immediately with plain boiled rice- see recipe

For all my other recipes please visit http://www.bestmoneysavings.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing Fish Curry BIR Style
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 04:15 PM »
I love a nice fish curry, CT...I might have to give this one a go. ;D Fish pakoras are also very tasty...have you tried them?

Offline currytester

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 12:12 PM »
Hi Domi, I havent tried fish pakora's but would definitely be more than willing to give them a go.

If you get time definitely give the fish curry a go - the rest of the family forced me to write the recipe down so I guess it must be pretty good but a second opinion is always really useful.

If you can point me in the direction of a fish pakora recipe that you approve then i will let you know the result.

CT

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 12:47 PM »
Hi CT ;)

I use mamta's recipe...find it here:

http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=13124

Careful on the ajwain seeds though, I use half a teaspoon rather than a full one because they can overpower, and I only marinade the fish (I use cod or haddock fillets) for an hour to an hour and a half because the lemon juice can cook the fish. I've used lime juice too on occasion but it can sometimes make them taste a bit perfumey...the batter is better a bit on the thicker side as it protects the fish and gives a much better, crispier batter. I serve with a raita and a bit of salad, blooming lovely and fresh tasting, far better than any I've had in a BIR :) And if you use a stronger tasting fish, up the spices a bit ;)

Offline currytester

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 01:48 PM »
Hi Domi,

I have to say that I have tried several of Mamta's recipes with varied success.

The Fish Pakoras look like they are worth a go so I have added to my "Must Try" list and I will make them next time white fish emerges from the freezer. Might have to make them without the rice flour as its not one of the ingredients I stock!!!

Thanks for the recipe.

CT

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 02:51 PM »
I know what you mean, CT...I only use two of her recipes, pilau rice and this one, but then again once I've made anything a few times, I add a bit of this and that or a bit more or a bit less lol I must admit I'm a bit of a bugger for that "oh while I've got all me spices out I'll just add some of this" kinda thinking so my recipes are probably alot different though I never write them down - I guess alot like your fish curry recipe lol, sometimes things just happen and work really really well ;D kitchen alchemy!

©2024 Curry Recipes