Author Topic: Alternative Sunday lunch  (Read 7697 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Alternative Sunday lunch
« on: April 11, 2010, 11:48 AM »
Guy's, 

kind of tabbing on to something Axe was talking about (how to turn his tuna steaks into something curry),  I've got the sunday lunch on the go but, I can't help thinking, 'How could I make it more interesting.  Then I thought, why not substitute all the ingredients of the lunch, with an Indian alternative?  So, here's my take on what I think could be a good twist to the traditional sunday lunch:  Traditional to the left, alternative to the right:

Roast Leg of Lamb         Raan of Lamb
peas/carrots/cauli           Bengali Vegetables
Boiled/mash pots           Bombay Potatoes
Yorkshire pudding          Onion bhaji or pakoras
Gravy                           Madras curry sauce

I did mention doing this Indian influenced version of the sunday lunch today to my wife,  she told me that if I do, her and the kids are going to McDonald's :(

C'mon, who's got the minerals to give this one a go ;)

Ray

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative Sunday lunch
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 11:56 AM »
Ray, let me know if the wife n kids are going to McD's your a 4 hour drive away, I can just make it in time.  ;D

Where's the Keema Matar ;)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 12:03 PM »
Axe,

Unfortunately mate, she's made me do the usual (boring) sunday lunch :-\

Where's the Keema Matar
  What would I be replacing it for?, lol

Ray :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 12:33 PM »
What would I be replacing it for?, lol

Not the carrot or cauli. :P

Seriously though, i'm all up for an alternative spin on the Sunday joint. Though i'm not sure I could bring myself to do that with a Rib of Beef. Not because its sacred, but because it tastes so damn good as is. ;D

Just have to convince the wife now, she's a roast tatty queen though, so it going to be hard.

Perhaps Cauliflower Pakora has some mileage in it and what was the potato dumpling done on Master chef recently, that might work. What about your onion, potato & carrot bhaji Ray?

Today though, we shall be dinning on a slow roasted shoulder of pork with plenty of crackling, roasted spuds and parsnips, cauli, carrots and brussels.

I'll bet brussels curry well.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 12:45 PM »
 :o You can't mess with a good roast dinner...that's sacrilege! there's no Indian side dish that can replace lovely roast tatties cooked in goosefat and good rich red wine gravy for me. I mean, I love me curries but there's a place for everything :P

Dirty heathens! :-X ;D

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 12:47 PM »
It must be  a woman thing. ive been trying for weeks to get the misus to let me tandoori a leg of lamb for sunday dinner but she just wont budge :(
Ive seen brussel sprouts curried before, usually on the xmas cookery programs, you know, what to do with left overs, but ill keep away from those horrible things meself.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 12:59 PM »
Hi PandJ,

Check this out,

http://www.kushibalti.co.uk/xmasbhaji.htm

Domi,

You can't mess with a good roast dinner...that's sacrilege!

Give it a go, like Dr Pepper, what's the worst that could happen? ;D  Go on, i'll even let you throw in a Yorkshire pudding for balance :-*

Ray :)

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 01:30 PM »
Erk @ sprout bhajis! what a waste of nice spices, honestly those things are the spawn of satan, and they taste like earwax, go on try it you'll see!.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 01:30 PM »
Ray your a legend, Brussel Bhaji's They even sound good. :D

Up until 5 or 6 years back, I would have agreed with you Domi. But i've simply got fed up eating the same rotation of usual roasts. It was at one time a saving grace to be able to throw everything in the oven and enjoy a fantastic roast. But now, I long to try different things or looking outside of the box for a change.

Put two plates in front of me, one of Roast Potatoes and the other Onion Bhaji (IG of course), the bhaji wins, its not even a close run contest.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 02:01 PM »
Don't get me wrong, Axe, I love a nice slow roast indian leg o' lamb, served with a nice fresh salad and spiced new potatoes served warm, but I love a traditional roast too (which we never eat on Sundays anyways lol). but which is better? There's only one way to find out....FIGHTTTT!!!!!! hehe

©2024 Curry Recipes