Author Topic: Ultimate Naan Bread?  (Read 19600 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Naan Bread?
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 09:28 PM »
thanks Jerry, I will try this one next time round. :)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 02:25 AM »
For me, naan needs instant dry yeast. Self rising flour is not good enough. I tried the Dipujara recipe and found it well below par.

Also I've found by trial and error of 200+ naans, that the high heat oven method beats the pan fry method hands down. 3 minutes under highest heat will toast the bottom and spot-char the top. Pizza stone works by far the best.

-- Josh

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 02:12 PM »
Here's Heston Blumenthal's approach to Naan, note his opening comments.

Heston Blumenthal/ In Search of Perfection/ Naan bread

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 03:03 PM »
Here's Heston's recipe for naan:

Preparation time 30-45 minutes
Cooking time 2 minutes
Ingredients

* 750g/2lb self-raising flour
    * 20g/?oz sugar
    * 2 tsp salt
    * 1 tsp baking powder
    * 230g/8oz water
    * 230g/8oz whole milk
    * 100g/3? free-range eggs
    * ghee

Method

1. Sift all the dry ingredients together and place in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a hook attachment.
   2. Add the water, milk and eggs, incorporating them on a slow speed.
   3. Once all the liquid ingredients are incorporated, mix for three minutes on a low speed followed by one minute at a medium speed.
   4. When the dough is well mixed, transfer it to a generously floured work surface and knead by hand for an additional two minutes.
   5. Divide the dough into 100g/3?oz portions (12 pieces), roll into balls and place on a floured baking sheet. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least two hours before using.
   6. Remove all the racks from the oven and place two square pizza stones in the bottom in a V-shape: each stone should rest against the oven wall on either side and meet in the middle at a 45-degree angle. If your oven has room for only one pizza stone, you can use a small baking sheet or another metallic object to keep it against the oven wall at a 45-degree angle. Preheat the oven, with the top grill set at 100 per cent for 20 minutes.
   7. Flour a work surface and place a floured ball of dough on it. Oil your hands and flatten the dough with the tips of your fingers until you have a disc approximately 20cm/8in in diameter. Repeat with the other balls of dough.
   8. Place one or two pieces of flattened dough on a floured pizza peel (or the back of a baking sheet) and brush lightly with melted ghee (alternatively make a 'cushion' out of folded tea towels and place the naan on this before transferring to the oven as Heston does in the video).
   9. Put the dough on top of the stones as far back in the oven as possible. Note: If you have two stones in the oven, you can bake two naan at a time. If not, you will have to bake one at a time.
  10. Bake for 1 minute 40 seconds, then remove and bake the remaining naan in the same way. Serve immediately.

Taken from here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/tv_and_radio/perfection/recipe_popup_one.shtml

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 03:39 PM »
What does he know!

I tried his recipe / method a long time ago. I dont rememeber it being any good.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 07:07 PM »
What does he know!

I tried his recipe / method a long time ago. I dont rememeber it being any good.

Calm down calm down ;D others may feel differently to you if they try the recipe/method, Chris ;) Horses for courses and all that :P

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 07:21 PM »
This guy has another way to cook naans on the stove top...might be worth a try ;)

Indian Food Naan

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 07:17 AM »
the dough that the other guy uses is very similar to how mine turns out - sticky.

wow - even down to the pat a cake trick

i must try kneading the SR dough - something i'd not thought of.

many thanks Domi.

ps going to look out for one of those bunsen burner sheets - he calls a "shouter"?

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 09:47 AM »
ps going to look out for one of those bunsen burner sheets - he calls a "shouter"?

Lol Jerry, his poor engish accent is hard to get with some words I had to listen a few times too. He says 'Stove Top'.

I don't know if it would be too fine but what about these cheap anti-splatter guards you can buy for frying pans, maybe that would work?

When I first watched this video last week, I wondered if a blow torch could be used while the naan cooks on a frying pan or Tawa. I'm going to give this a go. :)

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 01:52 PM »
I thought you might find this site usefull for naans, also for most indian foods and cookery tips.
For techniques on cooking naan click on the Naan Baking link on the left side of the page.
Recipes on the right.
http://www.indiacurry.com/bread/index.htm

©2024 Curry Recipes