Author Topic: Ultimate Naan Bread?  (Read 19599 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Naan Bread?
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 06:17 PM »
When I first watched this video last week, I wondered if a blow torch could be used while the naan cooks on a frying pan or Tawa. I'm going to give this a go. :)

Axe,

it's the panning and the heat transfer of the gauze that's crucial i think to the chappies method of trying to replicate a tandoor - i find i have spare gas when using the cast iron pan - if i go up to full wack the dough burns in places before it's cooked (i guess down to hot spots even on a gas hob and thick cast iron pan).

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 07:20 AM »
tried the magic carpet trick with a splash guard "metal gauze" - complete waste of ?1.50.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 12:21 PM »
Hi Jerry ;)

Was it the splash guard or the method that was wrong, luv? I've used a splatterguard when frying in the past and anytime I cooked at a high temp the overhang would be knackered so I wouldn't have thought it an ideal tool for this style of nan-cooking. I must admit I was intrigued by the upturned pan method but I'd rather not be the one to try it lol :P

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 08:07 AM »
Domi,

the method or principle was wrong

i cooked 2 off naan in my normal cast iron frying pan and 2 off using the splash guard. we could not tell any difference in the tasting or appearance.

as u say the overhand area is a real problem - the heat distribution is not even (in cross section dough on one side and nothing on the other) and u end up burning the edges.

the other downside for me is that i prepare the next naan (roll/pat a cake) whilst cooking the previous naan in the pan - having to hold the mesh prevented this.

for me the dough (proportion of water) and the preparing (getting it even thk) have the bigger impact on the result in the home kitchen.

the result was real disappointing as i hoped for much better. it's not even something i feel u could improve with practise.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2010, 11:21 AM »
Thanks Jerry :) That's that method scratched then. ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2010, 01:53 PM »
Domi,

a slight under statement on the magic carpet naan trick for sure.

it may well turn out of use in another way - cooking on my chiminea. the dark circle is down to me putting the net over the chimney. i'm not totally convinced how useful it would be as a cooking method but going to explore a bit if the wheather ever improves.

all the best. ;D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2010, 02:23 PM »
I think it is likely that the splash guard hasn't helped. In the video,  you can see the wire mesh tray being used is much more open than a  splash guard. Perhaps the fine mesh on the splash guard actually  stops the flame 'licking' the dough.

I haven't been able to try the Blow Torch theory out yet. I made some Naan last week and went to grab the torch, only to realise it had no gad left. ::)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2010, 02:59 PM »
Axe,

i should have taken a photo - will do next time.

i tried the splash guard low & high and slow rotation and targeted. i found i needed to almost land the guard on the gas hob ie in the flame to have any effect. i could get the gauze to turn red and to burn the naan if i left it in the flame too long. it took far longer to cook than in the pan. it was the burning around the edges that finally put the nail in.

for all the faffing the result was no better. i think u need the mechanism of the oven to improve on what the pan produces.

i can't see the blow torch working any better.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2010, 03:06 PM »
I'll let you know on the blow torch. The theory behind this is to provide heat to both surfaces whilst cooking. The same thing that happens in a Tandoor and perhaps why Pizza Makers seem to work ok.

I'm not expecting any miracles but its having the heat on both surfaces that will help to create the blistering. Ideally i'd like a thick metal tray to be used in conjunction with my grill, but haven't found anything suitable yet.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2010, 04:19 PM »
i could get the gauze to turn red and to burn the naan if i left it in the flame too long. it took far longer to cook than in the pan. it was the burning around the edges that finally put the nail in.

Jerry you need to use one of those things they use to cook the chappatis with. Does anyone know the name of these things? I can't even find a picture of one, but you'll see Maliks using one if you're lucky!

©2024 Curry Recipes