Author Topic: Mustard Oil  (Read 17852 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Mustard Oil
« on: April 16, 2010, 05:16 PM »
Having seen this mentioned several times now I am looking to buy some to try out. Only having seen Rick steins Far Eastern Episode in Bangladesh I am puzzled as to what to buy.

He says at one pint in the video that a chef adds mustard oil which you can tell by its dark colour.

With this in mind I have done a search and spices of india have oil branded KTC but it is not dark: http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Indian-Food-KTC-Mustard-Seed-Oil.html

However, they also have Dabur which is dark: http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Dabur-Mustard-Oil.html

My mind says I should buy the Dabur but i'd love some reassurance that this is the way to go please.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Mustard Oil
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 05:36 PM »
Axe,

The best way I can describe the colour is, it should be whiskey colour.

Ray :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 06:05 PM »
I've now found another Mustard Oil with yet a different colour: http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Desi-Gold-Mustard-Oil.html

Which brand do you use Ray?

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 06:10 PM »
Axe,

hahahaha, Desi Gold, the one in your link mate, lol.

I have used others aswell, and I think one of them was Pride, ?

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 06:12 PM »
Axe,

What is your want, with Mustard Oil?

I only use for my chicken/lamb tikka marinade or, my mint sauce.  I don't cook with it

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 06:27 PM »
Mostly curiosity and a want to learn not only BIR but the origin of BIR, i.e. Bangladesh. Its good to read about Mustard Oil and not being used in BIR but if Idon't try it, I will remain ignorant of it.

Having seen the Rick Stein Episode again, I have underpinned my desire to learn more about authentic dishes in a hope to understand how and why it was translated into BIR.

I know that sounds a little optimistic but its all part of the journey and I will be wiser for it. I can't believe just how hard I have been bitten by the curry bug. I half expected to get the Bhaji done and leave it there, but oh no, it seems I underestimated Chris's warning about being addictive, its turned into an obsession. :o

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 06:42 PM »
Hi Axe,

It certainly is an obsession with us all lol.  Call me a sceptic, but my belief of our BIR curry is purely down to the need for the early immigrants to make a few quid.  They devised a way of turning their traditional cuisine into 'fast food' and more power to their elbows I say!

I would love to think that BIR is something different than a way to make ends meet, but I honestly think that's how it came about!

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 06:50 PM »
I couldn't agree more, as Rick says in the Video I mentioned, they jumped shipped at port and what better way to make money!

Understanding their food will allow me I hope, to understand a little more about the way that BIR came to be. BIR being quite unique, it has obviously developed of its own accord and yet in the short time I have been 'hooked' I can see many similarities between BIR and Authentic Cuisine. Of course they are true spice masters and that I have yet to learn. Mustard oil here we come.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 07:24 PM »
Axe,

u need to try it - it's real potent stuff - u'll either love it or hate it.

i'm using it in tikka marinade only at the mo.

i feel it must be used more than this though. i want to try a little in base.

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 10:15 PM »
Ive been told and i believe that mustard oil brings out a lot more flavour from your spices when you fry them.
Try it next time you stir fry your curry, add 1 tsp mustard oil to your vag oil lol, and then cook as normal. Ever since i tried it ive used it every time except once and there was a marked drop in flavour in that one meal.

©2024 Curry Recipes