Author Topic: Mustard Oil  (Read 17853 times)

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Mustard Oil
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 03:43 PM »
I use Mustard Oil to cook my base sause and ghee to cook my curries, best tasting ever; I look no further.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 03:55 PM »
But don't BIRs simply use the cheapest vegetable oil (or maybe sunflower oil, for the more "upmarket" BIRs) for both (primarily)?

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2011, 09:01 PM »
Hi CA its been a long time, yes they do use the cheapest and cut corners, that's why I feel I have surpassed them; and believe me that is not showing off talk, just fact.

I cooked a Raan of lamb on Saturday with pilau rice and a most excellent tasting curry sauce beats them hands down, no brag just fact.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 11:11 AM »
I used the Mustard Oil for the first time last night, albeit this was a late addition to a previously made and frozen Tandoori Chicken marinade. I added only a small amount but instantly became agreeable to the aroma of the existing marinade and the mustard oil mixing together.  In all honesty, I couldn't really tell any difference in the finished dish but I suspect this is because of the late addition and the small portion size.

I am going to try a comparison test on my next batch of tandoori chicken, which will be made to the Lasan recipe. http://youtu.be/dnDuq-inc7U

Lasan seem to use Mustard oil alot and a quick Google search lists several video's where they openly talk about the use of this traditional oil. The question this raises for me though, is how are they able to use this oil, when it is not deemed safe for internal consumption within the EU? Surely the TV programs they have been on and spoken about it's use, would be careful not to air anything that was not legal. I am quite confused about this.

I also noted that the mustard oil that Lasan show they are using, is alot lighter in colour to my mustard oil.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:47 AM by Axe »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 11:29 AM »
Hi CA its been a long time

It has, indeed...good to hear from you...how have you been diddling?  :)

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2011, 02:43 PM »
I've been diddling quite well playing the guitar again after 23 years taking up a lot of my time, but I still enjoy cooking the curries.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2011, 09:12 AM »
I use Mustard Oil to cook my base sauce

this has crossed my mind a few times - not to completely replace the veg oil which i'm sold on but a small addition. i've noticed over successive base batches that many ingredients can be added in small proportions (marg, coconut block) which add to depth without the base going out of balance.

on my list to give it a try.

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2012, 09:33 PM »
After all the warnings about "for external use only" I found "Uncle Roy's Spicy Mustard Seed Oil" in my local (non-indian) deli shop....

http://www.uncleroys.co.uk/Mustard_Seed_Oils.htm

Only made C2G "magic" (masala) sauce with it yet, looking forward to pre-cooking some meat with it to see if it makes a difference.

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2012, 08:07 AM »
Does anyone still have that Lasan video ? It's marked as "private" now :(

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2012, 08:16 AM »
Does anyone still have that Lasan video ? It's marked as "private" now :(
It's available commercially, if that is of any interest, otherwise most BBC series (and many others) can frequently be found in the murky world of BitTorrent ...

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes