Author Topic: Ruby Murray - The Secret Story Of Curry  (Read 5436 times)

Offline Paul-B

• Chef
    • View Profile
Ruby Murray - The Secret Story Of Curry
« on: April 21, 2010, 01:49 PM »
Very good recording from the BBC all about the history of curry in the uk. You need to have a torrent client to download it, but it's a fascinating story:

http://radioarchive.cc/torrents-details.php?id=8490Ruby Murray: The Secret Story of Curry 09-04-2010

"The British are mad about curry - 'Ruby Murray' in Cockney rhyming slang. Alkarim Jivani speaks to curry lovers north and south of the border to find out how curry came to be so intimately linked with the British sense of identity.

Historically, the English have been seen as distrustful of foreigners and wary of foreign food. So the nation's long love affair with curry - which is as much working class as colonial - is a surprising one. Even more curious is how this passion for curry is now recognised as part of the British identity. Vindaloo was the unofficial song of England's 1998 World Cup team - an unlikely battlecry for English football fans. In 2001, Robin Cook, then Foreign Secretary, declared that chicken tikka masala was the nation's most popular dish. Chicken tikka masala is even included by the Ministry of Defence in its operational ration packs to bring the troops some home comfort.

Contributors include: Madhur Jaffrey, whose enormously popular 1982 BBC series Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cookery revolutionised British Indian cuisine; Michelin-starred chef, Atul Kochhar (Great British Menu, Saturday Kitchen), known for his masterful use of spices and the Indian twist he brings to modern British cuisine; Namita Panjabi, Group Director, Masala World (Veeraswamy, Chutney Mary, Amaya, and Masala Zone); and Neil Hind at Defence Food Services, Defence Equipment and Support, Ministry of Defence (Defence Equipment and Support buys equipment and supports the UK army, navy and airforce around the world).

Presenter Alkarim Jivani

Producers Catriona Oliphant / Ian Willox

Executive Producer Simon Berthon

"I could murder a Ruby." Not the plans of a nascent assassin, but the mating cry of the British liquored-up male on a Friday night. The British love affair with Ruby Murrays (cockney rhyming slang) dates as far back as the 18th century, as our guide to the Brits and the art of curry, Alkarim Jivani, tells us. Fantastic facts, like chicken tikka masala is not the nation's favourite meal and what Mrs Beaton could do to a periwinkle, are what make this gorgeous little dish of history, memories, and recipes, a very tasty morsel indeed."

Enjoy!

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ruby Murray - The Secret Story Of Curry
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 04:58 PM »
Many thanks for the link. I managed to download the programme even though I don't know much about the torrent way of working. i downloaded the prog at 32Mb and, by now, I've uploaded 202Mb giving me a ratio of 6.3.

Is the torrent software only uploading the Ruby Murray prog or could I be used as a sort of processing unit for any number of other progs? Is there the slightest risk that this link could be seeking out and uploading anything else from my computer? Is it risky?

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 10:28 AM »
Some torrent software may spy on your PC but most of the main ones are pretty clean. I use Utorrent to catch up on TV series that my Sky+ failed to record.

I know people that use them to download PC, Xbox360, DS and Wii games as well as the usual 'video camera in the cinema' films! The quality is usually so bad it ruins the film.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 12:07 PM »
Be very careful at the moment if you are downloading stuff illegally. Google ACS:Law. They're a legitimate law firm who run a legitimate (i.e. legal) scam.

They harvest IPs of uploaders (if you download you automatically upload too) and then send you a nastygram offering settlement for about ?500 or a court appearance if not. It's called speculative invoicing. They've sent out literally tens of thousands of demands and haven't taken one person to court! They rely on fear to make you pay up even if you're innocent!

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 03:49 PM »
ss - thanks for the warning. Yikes, although the Ruby Murray programme was interesting I'd only value it at about 50p so I hope there are no serious consequences. I'll now remove the torrent software from start-up. How do Google get hold of your name and address from your IP address. Do most service providers work in cahoots with Google, in revealing your name and postal address?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 06:00 PM »
How do Google get hold of your name and address from your IP address.

They don't George, when I said "Google ACS:Law" I was using the verb form of Google, i.e. use Google to do a search on ACS:Law (the scamming law firm).

They (ACS:Law) get your IP address by using a purpose built fake torrent client which uses deep packet analysis to associate your upload with your IP address. They then apply for a Norwich Pharmacal Order and having been granted that they go to the ISP associated with your IP address and 'legitemately' demand your account details.

It's a nasty business relying entirely on fear. They have no intention of going to court as this would enable scrutiny of their IP harvesting software and they'd be laughed out of court.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 06:48 PM »
I use a uTorrent too...and don't worry about Google getting your name and address, George just sign up at open torrent sites with a false name and address (though any torrent site shouldn't ask for that info). I'd also recommend only downloading directly from the distributors and not from second party sites...The best thing by far is to get on a private torrent site (I'm a member of many) just avoid the multi-torrent apps that do everything (like connect to kazaa/limewire etc) - go with uTorrent and you won't go wrong ;)

BTW, if you're uploading, change the file name anyone who uses rapidshare for instance knows that files with film/music etc titles get removed. Companies do a search of filenames to find downloads

There's an awful lot of scaremongering about downloads and the vast majority of it is bull...but if you're using open torrent sites rather than private ones, then companies do release downloads and send out those scary letters to anyone who downloaded from them. Don't forget that an awful lot of legitimate downloads are available on torrents so having a torrent app does not mean you have to be illegally downloading, though I don't know of anyone with one who doesn't :P One more thing, sharing links to illegal downloads isn't illegal either as long as you remember to say that piracy is illegal, you're free. ;)

They've been after the pirate bay for years (much publicised case, google it ;) ) and they've not been able to force them to remove a single torrent - and these are the biggest companies too. ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes