Author Topic: Hi all, I'am a newbie, "Laksa" Question  (Read 4640 times)

Offline digre

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Hi all, I'am a newbie, "Laksa" Question
« on: September 02, 2005, 09:03 PM »
Hi all

Have fallen over this forum this evening and am impressed with it's content.
I know the title is Restaurant Curry Recipes On line BUT!
I can't find any mention of Laksa
WHY?
I lived in Australia for a few years and dined on a Laksa at least once a week,it was everwhere, but since returning to London, England I never see it anywhere, and can't understand why.....Laksa (for those who don't know) is like a Thai red curry soup with noodles, chicken, seafood. In my opinion is't the best, my mouth is watering just thinking of it......I'm sure it would be HUGE if it were readily available.?

Your thoughts.............

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Hi all, I'am a newbie, "Laksa" Question
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 11:20 PM »
Hi Digre,

I have made Laksa (actually called Nonya Laksa) from a Ken Hom cook book. I have never seen it in England either but it was just as you say a Thai Red Curry soup with noodles and was really tasty and simple to make.
Have you seen the recipe? If not I can dig it out and post it for you.

Regards

Ray G

Offline digre

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 07:40 PM »
Yes please Ray

I can't understand why it's not available everywhere!? ????

(mouth is watering again just thinking of it)

Thanks Ray

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 04:48 PM »
Hi Digre,

As promised I have attached a scanned copy of the Ken Hom Nonya Laksa recipe. I have tried this recipe and can recommend it.

regards

Ray

Offline digre

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 05:50 PM »
Ray thanks for that
Will have a go at making it soon and let you know.

Regards

Digre

Offline digre

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 12:41 PM »
Hi all again
I know I started this post over a year ago now but just had to tell you the lastest news. :o :o
 In Greenwich SE London where I live a new small noodle bar has opened called Zin and Laksa is on the menu. I have had it a couple of time already and am on speeking terms with the owner. I have got to say it is very very good. ( 4 shops to the left of East Greenwich swimming baths if you are ever in the area)
 :-* Well done Zin

Offline jockomalay

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 07:20 AM »
Re Laksa..

Had a look through the previous posts...Sorry to sound like an anorak  but there are loads of varieties of Laksa ..Nonya is only one type .Nonya FYI are mainly Chinese (Hokkien) who settled in the Malay region about 1-200 years ago and they have a whole ethic cuisine of their own which is widely spread in Malaysia & Singapore and include some pretty good curries.
see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonya_Food

There is.. Thai style Laksa, Singapore Laksa, Curry Mee Laksa, Sarawak Laksa plus many others.. some are based on chicken and others fish/seafood, some use Basil, Coriander and other types, mint. They are all noodle based using various types of noodle eg mee or kueh yeoy which are flat noodles

see  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laksa#Curry_laksa

Check the following site which has a good authentic recipe..even though it is Australian

http://www.delaksa.com/ak_laksa.php

Couple of changes though, I would add some aubergine slices and  then add a couple of halved hard boiled eggs & slices of puffed  tofu ,add these just  before serving, and use fresh coriander instead of mint.. If you like a bit more bite , add thin sliver slices of fresh green chilli.

Give it a try!!

Cheers

Jockomalay

Offline jockomalay

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 07:25 AM »
Oh I forgot got to add re the previous recipe post I think that the Laksa recipe has been Ken Hom(ogenised)..

Cheers

Jockomalay

©2024 Curry Recipes