Author Topic: Recipe measurements  (Read 13321 times)

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Recipe measurements
« on: April 25, 2010, 10:08 PM »
On another thread, I suggested that Dipuraja should be given an OBE for his efforts. As an aside, though, his written recipes bear little relationship to the quantities you can see him using, most of the time. At a guess, when he says 1 tablespoon, I reckon he means 1 HEAPED tablespoon. There's a massive difference. In between there's a ROUNDED tablespoon.

If members here are as far out with their written recipes, it's small wonder that the results may not turn out as expected if anyone else makes the dish and sticks to conventional measurements, e.g. where 1 tbls is always 15ml. A rounded tablespoon might be 20ml and a heaped tbls is anyone's guess at perhaps 30ml.

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe measurements
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 10:19 PM »
Im a stickler for this too so if i type a recipe i use measuring spoons leveled.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 10:25 PM »
George,

It's a fair comment and a problem that needs rectifying.  As a suggestion, and this won't help with Dip's recipes, but maybe the forum could generate an automatic message to new members, giving them advice/rules on posting threads.

I dunno, for example:

All measurments should be clear and precise 1tbs = 15ml, 1 rounded tbs = 20ml, 1 heaped tbs = 25 ml and so on...

It doesn't have to be as anal as that but dya know what I mean, just some kind of guide for new and old members. 

It could also include tips on essential equipment required, such as, long handled chefs spoon, blender or hand blender, measuring spoons, and so on....

What dya think?

Ray :)

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 10:46 PM »
George,

It's a fair comment and a problem that needs rectifying.  As a suggestion, and this won't help with Dip's recipes, but maybe the forum could generate an automatic message to new members, giving them advice/rules on posting threads.

Good idea. It certainly needs a bit more QA or something. I even thought of putting myself forward as a proof reader for any new recipes, which would have to be pre-moderated, by me (say) before they are posted. This could weed out inconsistencies and apparent anomalies like those I recently found in a Cooking Academy recipe for saag aloo. They are professionals, so if their recipes are found lacking, what hope is there for us? But, without seeing the dish made, there's no way anyone could pick up differences like those I can see in Dipuraja's kitchen.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 10:48 PM »
When I do get around to making Dipuraja's stuff, and I'll have to some time soon to see what all the fuss is about, I'll be taking my measurements from the video and will ignore the written stuff!

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 11:32 PM »
When I do get around to making Dipuraja's stuff, and I'll have to some time soon to see what all the fuss is about, I'll be taking my measurements from the video and will ignore the written stuff!

My thinking, too. I'm not criticising him though. I'm so grateful to him.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 09:53 AM »
Too me a tablespoon would equate to one rounded spoonful and not a spoonful that is levelled of with a knife for instance. This applies to any spoon measure.

The idea is sound in principle as long as everyone knows what a spoonful is, for example the English measurement for a Tablespoon is 18ml.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 10:32 AM »
Too me a tablespoon would equate to one rounded spoonful and not a spoonful that is levelled of with a knife for instance. This applies to any spoon measure.
The idea is sound in principle as long as everyone knows what a spoonful is, for example the English measurement for a Tablespoon is 18ml.

Ah, your comments above confirm how everybody is on a different wavelength, with different understandings.

My understandng is that English convention for "1 tbls' is 1 level tablespoon, equals 15ml. Yes, scraped level with a knife.

Not 18ml and not rounded.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 11:00 AM »
The 15ml Tablespoon is the US measurement for a tablespoon which is 1/2oz. The BBC have a site for measurement translations: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/converter_index.shtml

I would imagine that the majority of BIR's all cook on 'sight' rather than exact measurement. Take a chef spoon and try and pick up a tablespoon of powder and you'll do it on sight alone 'that looks about right'. 

As long as we're in the ball park I wouldn't expect too much deviation to the finished recipe. However, that said, it depends on the translation of the original recipe. Though I do accept that some recipes could be effected more than others.

When I watched DPR make his base, he says add one tablespoon of mix powder but you can clearly see that the amount of powder on his spoon is more than heaped and probably equates to about 2 tablespoons.

I cook using teaspoons and tablespoons literally. As my translation goes visually, take a spoonful of sugar or salt and that is my spooned measure.

This topic has made wonder about what quantities I am actually using, so i'm going to measure this tonight when I get home.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 12:24 PM »
Axe,

Are you sure,

1 tsp = 5ml
1 dsp = 10 ml
1 tbs = 15ml

That's what my measuring spoons say, you are supposed to level them off!

I think in Australia, and CA can correct me if I'm wrong, 1 tbs = 20ml

Ray :)

©2024 Curry Recipes