Author Topic: Recipe measurements  (Read 13320 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe measurements
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 02:23 PM »
This degree of precision is really a bit of a moot point anyway, since we are using volume measures to approximate the mass of solids! 

The actual mass, in a given volume, can vary with all manner of things (packing density, particle size, moisture content, etc) and, for spices, the resultant intensity of flavour varies more significantly with their freshness!

We need to get real (and practical) about the degree of precision required.  It is obviously far more significant to be clear if we are talking about a level or a heaped spoon that is being specified in a recipe.  I reckon specifying any further degree of precision is pointless.

I use 1 level tsp = 15ml, 1 level dsp = 10ml and 1 level tbsp = 15ml

As far as I'm aware this is the case in NZ, Canada, USA and UK

Ray is correct, a tbsp in Oz is 20ml

If you want to get precise about solids, use grams!

Personally, I'm far more concerned about being clear about what a recipe means when it refers to "coconut powder", "tomato puree", etc  ::)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:34 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 02:38 PM »
There really shouldn't be any room for debate after six years of this forum. This should be made an edict in the FAQ!

Go tell Dipuraja (or any other restaurant chef) that!  Are you seriously going to reject their recipes because they don't conform to your "edict"?  ::)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 04:11 PM »
Go tell Dipuraja (or any other restaurant chef) that!  Are you seriously going to reject their recipes because they don't conform to your "edict"?  ::)

Firstly I wasn't aware that any restaurant chefs were active posting members of this forum CA?
Secondly I would hope that anyone who posts these chefs recipes for them has enough intelligence to be able to put their recipes into whatever format the forum requires.
Thirdly it's hardly my edict CA. Those measures are, as I've already explained, a standard by virtue of the fact that all measuring spoons available in the UK (this being a UK forum) are 5ml, 10ml, 15ml etc.
And last, but by no means least, stop trying to win points, it just makes you sound obtuse.  ;)  ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 04:34 PM »
This degree of precision is really a bit of a moot point anyway, since we are using volume measures to approximate the mass of solids!

No we're not!

No one is saying "well, I need 1 gram of cumin for this recipe and that's about 5ml as an approximation".

The volume measures stand on their own, the mass is (within reason) irrelevant.

The only moot thing is your point above.

If you want to get precise about solids, use grams!

Unfortunately, not true either, as you yourself point out this will vary with moisture content.

For all practical purposes level metric tsp and TBSP measures are more than adequate for all our curry cooking needs.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 04:54 PM »
Firstly I wasn't aware that any restaurant chefs were active posting members of this forum CA?

Unfortunately SS, in your narrow view of the world, you're seldom aware of much that's really of relevance.  There are loads of reports of recipes allegedly from restaurant chefs here that don't, and never will, conform to your "edict".  Are you proposing to dismiss them all then?  ::)

Secondly I would hope that anyone who posts these chefs recipes for them has enough intelligence to be able to put their recipes into whatever format the forum requires

Unfortunately SS, some members don't, and probably never will, post any recipes of ANY description hey?  All they'll ever do is moan about, and belittle, those that do.....that's highly intelligent, I agree  ::),

Thirdly it's hardly my edict CA

You're saying it should be the edict SS  ::)

Those measures are, as I've already explained

Yes, you're so good at and busy explaining ain't ya....  ::)

all measuring spoons available in the UK (this being a UK forum) are 5ml, 10ml, 15ml etc

Oh, and I bet not a single one exists in the UK that isn't  ::)

And last, but by no means least, stop trying to win points, it just makes you sound obtuse.  ;)  ;D

Or a complete and utter negative w*nker perhaps SS?  ;)

The point is SS, the degree of precision  you're so busy sweating over is largely irrelevant in the overall scale of things...in my opinion  :P

Plus, don't you think that for someone who has hardly ever, if ever, posted a recipe, on this forum, it's a bit galling to dictate to those who do how you require them to do it?  (please take note too George  ;))

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 04:57 PM »
No we're not!

A volume measure for a solid is no more than an approximation of it's mass.  The mass is the real variable you're trying so hard to control so precisely.  If it's not, you're thicker than I thought.

For all practical purposes level metric tsp and TBSP measures are more than adequate for all our curry cooking needs.

Doesn't matter what people choose to use, provided they specify it clearly

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 05:27 PM »
If it's not, you're thicker than I thought.

Here we go again. I don't consider ss 'thick' and i shouldn't think he appreciates your comment above. When I read his comment about forum standards, it made sense to me and didn't seem unreasonable. You then launched a broadside out of nowhere and we have another personal battle on our hands.

You said: "his degree of precision is really a bit of a moot point anyway." I disagree. We're not talking about minor differences but significant differences like between 15ml for a level tbls and perhaps three times that quantity for a heaped tbls, if that's what someone takes as 'one tablespoon'.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 05:37 PM »
Here we go again

Yes, here we go again, indeed George (hasn't this all been discussed several times before?  If so, why are you raising it yet again?)

I don't consider ss 'thick' and i shouldn't think he appreciates your comment above

Too bad if he doesn't, I don't appreciate many of his..or your's for that matter.  He shouldn't try so hard to win points hey?  ;)

You said: "his degree of precision is really a bit of a moot point anyway."

Brighten up George, I said "THIS...."

By that I meant arguing the toss about whether a tablespoon measures 15ml or 17.7ml, etc.

We're not talking about minor differences but significant differences like between 15ml for a level tbls and perhaps three times that quantity for a heaped tbls, if that's what someone takes as 'one tablespoon

Yes, we (people) are talking about that too.  On that we (I mean you and I) agree.  And whether or not a tablespoon is 15ml or 17.7ml is largely irrelevant in that context isn't it.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 06:03 PM »
Are we going to have this puerile petty bickering in every thread from now on then? ::) Such a shame :-\

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 06:05 PM »
Are we going to have this puerile petty bickering in every thread from now on then? ::) Such a shame :-\

Probably Domi, if you're anything to do with it (being one of the two or three, of course)  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes