Author Topic: Pillau Rice in a hurry  (Read 2299 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Pillau Rice in a hurry
« on: May 01, 2010, 08:37 AM »
from searching existing posts there seems to be quite a few derivatives on cooking pillau.

broadly absorption or drain. the drain version has a further optional step of finishing in the oven.

for non pillau i use the absorption method full stop - got it working a treat many thanks to 976 bar (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3487.0).

for pillau it's a must to get whole spice into the taste. the trouble is u really want the whole spice out before u eat. the absorption method captures the whole spice best but the tendency is for the rice to over cook. the drain method produce the best rice and offers the best opportunity for picking the whole spice out but the taste never develops in the short cooking period (i guess if u're happy to finish in the oven then maybe this is not an issue).

i've got real attached to Dipuraja's biryani rice and need to be able to cook it quickly and with ease. neither of the 2 methods have hit the spot for me.

Axe's idea in his base post on infusing water in a pan got me onto the idea of using this water for the drain method. i was happy with the result and have adopted as standard going fwd.

draining off the infused water

the finished Dipuraja biryani rice

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Pillau Rice in a hurry
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 07:21 PM »
Great idea Jerry, I hadn't thought to apply it to cooking rice.

I notice you have used your recently acquired Aniseed, do you still need the Star Anise as well? I would have said that the Anise is the more viable option to impart this flavour perhaps.

Did you get any colouring from the Cassia Bark?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 09:28 AM »
Axe,

i quite like the extra the anise brings. i do like the aniseed very much too. i've used it in base now and a real hit.  going fwd i'm still going to use fennel so it's an add rather than a replace for me.

the wood is cinnamon. i find it an easier fragrance in most situations. i would only use cassia in base. i did get colouring but it's the fragrance that the whole spice brings to the pillau that i was after.

Offline Ryu

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 11:54 PM »
Hey!

I liked your idea. Keep up the good work.

©2024 Curry Recipes