Author Topic: Razor's Curry Base  (Read 73704 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Razor's Curry Base
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 08:23 PM »
Axe,

I can imagine you was like a kid in a sweet shop ;D ;D

So Im guessing, that coversation 1 is done in one pan, and convo 2 in another, then added together?

Like I said before, this is very much like the Kushi base but the whole spices are put in to the onion pan in a tied muslin cloth.

With regards to spice mix do you reckon they didn't add any, just relying on the whole spices for the flavour? or did you just not get to that point.  Also, how would you describe the colour of their finished base?

It's good stuff this Axe, I wish they would let me in their kitchens around here :(

Ray :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 08:44 PM »
C1 and C2 are done in different pans and added together later.

I can not say about the spice mix as I hadn't established it with them. The following picture is the base as it was at about midday. He was clear to emphasise on how thin it was.

The picture doesn't really show it's colour properly which in reality was more of a milky yellow. You also don't get a feel for its consistency and body.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 09:12 PM »
Hi Axe,

There are definitely ground spices in there by the looks of things, and judging by the photo, a good quantity of oil also.

Would you say it was like a 'korma' yellow?

With regards to consistency, how thin?  Soup like?

Axe, this is your mission, should you choose to accept it!  Infiltrate, the IG kitchen and retrieve the 'Top Secret'  base recipe.  Report back to forum for debrief. Prepare to go back in for more intelligence reports ;D ;D

Ray ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 09:37 PM »
Do you remember Madras and Vindaloos in the 80's?  Damn, they was hot, much hotter than today.

Do I ever! This is why I cringe when I see recipes for vindaloo with 2 tsps of chilli powder!

Call it what you will but, if you ain't adding the equivalent of at least 4 tsps of extra hot chilli powder to it, it ain't vindaloo!  >:(

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 09:39 PM »

I'm not sure many BIRs use tumeric to colour rice anyway, it's too dull as a colourant?.  I use yellow food colouring, mostly

The first type of rice I leaned to make after getting the hang of plain boiled rice was yellow rice, using the same method as plain rice but adding a tablespoon or so of turmeric while it was boiling. In my experience it's far from dull, it's actually quite a vivid yellow and as for staining, well you have to watch what kind of pan you use.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 09:44 PM »
treble the spices at the final dish in way too much oil, just to see what it brings.  It couldn't do no harm, could it? :-\

Ray this is the way I cook all my curries, well as far as the oil goes anyhow. I really go over the top and spoon out a lot of it at the end. Of course I have to add a bit more spice to account for the fact that some is lost to the oil.

Also that oil is like pure gold for starting your next curry with.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2010, 09:49 PM »
SS,

Ray this is the way I cook all my curries, well as far as the oil goes anyhow. I really go over the top and spoon out a lot of it at the end. Of course I have to add a bit more spice to account for the fact that some is lost to the oil.

This is what I'm beginning to think is the way forward for me.

Incidentally, what base are you currently using?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2010, 09:52 PM »
The problem for me at least, is that any base that mentions the use of tomato goes against what I have been told by the IG so far. In as much as they don't use tomato in their base.

I really like this idea Axe as I have an aversion to bases with loads of tomato in. The thing is it's only recently, as far as I remember, that no-tomato bases were even mentioned, let alone seen in a BIR.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2010, 10:10 PM »
Incidentally, what base are you currently using?

Still on my favourite at the moment Ray, Bruce Edwards' latest one. I'm going to give the Dipurja one a go next.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2010, 10:13 PM »
SS,

Still on my favourite at the moment Ray, Bruce Edwards' latest one.

You wouldn't happen to have a link would you please?

©2024 Curry Recipes