Author Topic: Razor's Curry Base  (Read 74448 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Razor's Curry Base
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2010, 10:22 PM »
Ray, I will do I can to go back and find out more. The base clearly has some level of spicing in it as you rightly point out you can see the tell tale hints in the oil etc. I simply can't offer what they might be, or how much there is off them. I don't want to misguide you.

It is a shame that the picture isn't quite in focus. As I was taking this pic on the fly so to speak, I only took one and quickly. If you look at the liquid where the spoon handle is, you might get a better idea.  If I were to compare the base to Heinz tomato soup, I would say the soup was thick in comparison. but again, I only had a short moment with it.

As far as the colour goes, it was a little more vivid than a korma, much more yellow in colour. The depth of flavour must be just shy of Korma too as can be noted by the teaspoon of spice mix in the Korma recipe.

SS, I wonder why that is? I still find it amazing that in this day and age, BIR recipes are so hard to find!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2010, 02:30 PM »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2010, 02:55 PM »
Cheers SS

Ray :)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 10:30 AM »
OK got me base done, now I need a final curry recipe to go with it, any recommendations, Bezzer? I was going to use BE's madras for a tester but if you have one that would work better, let me know lol

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 12:27 PM »
Eh up Dom,

I just usually use CA's but go what what you think!

P.S,  Howz it looking so far ???

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2010, 04:28 PM »
It looks orangey brown at the mo Ray lol...it tastes sweeter than I'm used to, quite mellow but a good hit of spice comes through after....Looking forward to making a curry with it in a couple of hours ;D I'll post pics after ;) Had trouble with the oil and tomatoes mixing for a while, still got quite a yield of oil out at the end of it which I threw in the onion mix. Other than that I can't really say till I've made something with it - I'm making a madras :)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Hi Domi,

Yeah, it is slightly sweetr than most bases.  The reason for this is that I'm trying to cook the final dishes without any sugar in them, so I thought, get it in the base, leave out at the final dish, plus, sometimes, I think tinned tomatoes can be a bit bitter.

Hope you have some success with it though, and looking forward to your piccys ;)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2010, 01:40 PM »
Here's the base piccy:

And here's the madras I made using Dip's recipe:

I used Dip's madras recipe as that was the last madras recipe I used (in conjunction with CA's base).

I found the base works very well. The only negative I have is the yield of oil in the final dish which will be no problem at all to the reclaimed oil brigade of which I am not a member ;D and the oil didn't rise in the base after cooking, only in the final dish which you can see in my final dish pic above.  The sweetness I mentioned in a post above dissipates on cooling and the base overall allows each spice to show itself though to be absolutely certain I have to try it out on more complex recipes. I also like the fact that this base doesn't use capsicum ;)

I have to say I preferred the madras using your base over the one I made using CA's base (and that one rated quite highly ;) ) I prefer this curry using Dip's madras over CA's own madras/base/spice mix method though I will have to make more curries (dopiaza, pathia and a jalfrezi :P) using this base to get a better general picture. This base lacks some of the savouriness of admin's new base which is my preferred fave for madras however having said that I don't find that the "ANB" works as well for other curries because it can overpower in some recipes, I don't feel that your base will have that effect and so may be more versatile. All in all I prefer this base to CA's, but the Admin's new base edges this one for that overall savouriness.

For marks out of ten I'd give it an 8 thus far and it dropped a mark (this is being harsh, I know :-\ ) for the two-pan method which I don't feel would make much of a difference if any at all though to be sure I'd have to try the all-in-one-pot method lol.

I've not had a curry for a while and this one made a very good impression....I'll be using it again though as you know I have a few bases still to try :P I'll be using it to make a pathia on Friday so I'll let you know how it compares then, too. ;)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010, 01:49 PM »
Domi,

Please confirm that, whenever you refer to using "CA's base" that you mean that you made it according to my exact recipe...including using my masala (not BE's or others?)?  If not, please state that....otherwise it's more than a little misleading...thanks luv lol ;)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2010, 02:15 PM »
Hi CA :P

I have made your base more than once, the first time I did use BE's spicemix though I found on comparison between the two to be of very little significant difference in the final dish....Just to clear that up ;) though I did on the second run-through omit the capsicum in your base as for me personally I found the taste too strong in the first run-through. :-\ I don't understand why though as other bases I've used with capsicum, the capsicum doesn't override :-\ which may also have influenced my opinion in preference to Ray's base over yours. Oh well...horses for courses an' all that, eh? ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes