Author Topic: LIDL curry bargains  (Read 54007 times)

Offline Gezh

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: LIDL curry bargains
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 11:13 PM »
I'm with Axe on this.

This site gives you everything you need to make curries quickly and cheaply, and in good quantity. Whenever you make a preparation ingredient (G+G, rice, base etc) you always make some extra. Then making the final curry is extremely quick and costs next to nothing. There's just no point in these, what we can do at home is better.

Having said that, I was rather partial to Iceland Beef Madras, just ?1.50  ;)

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 11:32 PM »
Hi
Don't forget there Chicken biriani for a pound!
Regards

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 01:41 AM »
All you've got to do now is write some quantities besides the list of ingredients, together with a method (e.g. whack into microwave), and you've posted your first curry recipe George!  :P

Congratulations!  ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 01:43 AM »
I just find it bizarre that on this forum especially, people would opt to buy a supermarket curry when there are a multitude of very good recipes on here. You can always make a little extra and freeze it in a typical take-away foil tray. Its just as easy to re-heat and tastes a damn site better.

I think "bizarre" is understating the case, somewhat, Axe  :-\

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 01:59 AM »
Where is this website going? Curries from Lidl and Iceland?

What has happened to all experimenting and coming up with new and existing BIR Curries? rejuvenating old curries? a twist on existing curries?

I stopped contributing for quite a while because of this, but I think this website needs some more input on actually cooking curries rather than those we buy ready made from supermarkets, whether it is a bargain for a pound or ?1.50 or not........

Come on guys we can all do better than that and with far better results.......

I am still in Florida, but today actually made Cory Anders Base Sauce to a degree but somewhat modified.........

On Saturday I bought half a leg of lamb had it de-boned and butterflied and made Lamb Tikka, which I marinated for 24 hours and then cooked in a friends oven on Sunday.

Today I made a new dish for me, which was Lamb Tikka Bhuna (HOT) and I mean hot!!! I used fresh Habinaro Chillies and the base sauce I made. It was unbelievable and I will posting the recipe on here within the next couple of days along with pictures.......

My American friends were knocked out with this and had not tasted "BIR" quality like this before anywhere in the USA.......

I truly believe that this website has a lot to offer, but we need to concentrate more on cooking our own rather than demonstrating what we bought at our local supermarket.......

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 02:22 AM by 976bar »

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 08:09 AM »
Sorry  guys but I find 99% of these prepared meals absolute shite! the quality of the meat is of the lowest standard and they all have a vile coconutty taste that makes me want to heave.
This thread seems to be polarising our little curry community and Im gobsmacked that ANYONE who spends their time trying to replicate a bir style curry could think any differently.

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 08:52 AM »
Today is my first day off for a while so was planning to make a base, CK tikka massalla for the Mrs & CA Vindaloo for me with Peterandjens pilau rice.  Also going to try making the IG Onion Bhaji by Axe for the first time.  Might not bother, do Lidl do Onion Bhajis?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 09:05 AM »
Sorry  guys but I find 99% of these prepared meals absolute shite! the quality of the meat is of the lowest standard and they all have a vile coconutty taste that makes me want to heave.

I feel that the quality of some BIRs has sunk so low, that many of the chilled food supermarket curries actually taste better these days! Most of them are nothing special but at least two stand out for me:

- LIDL red or green Thai curries
- Morrisons Saag Masala

If I could make dishes as tasty as those, I'd be well pleased.
I'm being very specific. For example,  I tried LIDL's samosas and didn't rate them at all. The tarka dal was edible but not good enough to recommend here. I wouldn't have high expectations for supermarket onion bhajis or naan bread, either.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 10:58 AM »
Also going to try making the IG Onion Bhaji by Axe for the first time.

fantastic, let us know how you get on. Just incase, there is a breakdown of the recipe at the end of the first post in the topic.

If I could make dishes as tasty as those, I'd be well pleased.

George, are you serious? I was thinking about the Morrisons Chicken Saag as per your request for members to gauge themselves. But if you are honestly saying you have never cooked a better dish, I already have my measure, i'm afraid. 

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 11:32 AM »
George, are you serious? I was thinking about the Morrisons Chicken Saag as per your request for members to gauge themselves. But if you are honestly saying you have never cooked a better dish, I already have my measure, i'm afraid.

To clarify, I've never tried to make a Thai red or green curry, or a Saag anything curry but I still think I'd be hard pushed to make anything to match those specific dishes, although I could be wrong. On the few occasions when I've had Thai curries in a Thai restaurant, I'm not sure they're better than the Lidl ones, although I can't be certain, because i haven't been to a Thai restaurant for ages. If you're saying your cooking knocks spots off anything from a supermarket, did you sign up for my 'come dine' idea?

©2024 Curry Recipes