Author Topic: LIDL curry bargains  (Read 54022 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: LIDL curry bargains
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 11:53 AM »
If you're saying your cooking knocks spots off anything from a supermarket, did you sign up for my 'come dine' idea?

Are you thinking of serving up a few supermarket curries then George?  Mmmmmmmm, I bet Axe can't wait.......

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 12:13 PM »
I've never really had a good curry from a supermarket, and I've tried many although not recently.

From what I've learned mostly from this forum, I can beat a supermarket curry any day, at least to my tastebuds.

Supermarket curries usually use cheap meat and resort to cheap tricks like using cornflour to thicken the sauce, I guess because it is cheaper than onions.

Paul.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 01:27 PM »
I dont see there is any harm in discussing things like this. It's in the Curry Chat section, if you don't want to read it then don't. I agree we should continue our group mission of attaining curry perfection - and behind the scenes most of us are - but a bit of lighthearted chat about other stuff is fine in my opinion.

p.s. Waitrose used to do a genuinely nice Chicken Biryani. I would buy at least one a week to microwave at work for my lunch with some of those poor ready to eat poppadums.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 01:54 PM »
George, I wouldn't say my cooking 'knock spots off'  supermarket meals, but it is better. I'm not knocking you for liking  this type of thing, i'm just very surprised to learn that as a longer  serving member, you still feel your cooking is not as good as a supermarket meal.

I have some links to some great Indian Recipe sites if your interested. They are traditional Indian recipes as opposed to BIR, but they do have some really great recipes. I can PM them to you if you like.

Thai Curry is not something that I do alot of i'm afraid but I friend of mine who enjoys cooking says it's a doddle. He's makes his own paste's from recipe's he gathered from the internet. Again, I can get the links for you if you want them. I had a stab at the TCA Fish Cakes the other day, I posted pics, they were good too.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 02:10 PM »
Sure there's no harm in discussing it - I was discussing it!

Paul.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 02:25 PM »
George, I wouldn't say my cooking 'knock spots off'  supermarket meals, but it is better. I'm not knocking you for liking  this type of thing, i'm just very surprised to learn that as a longer  serving member, you still feel your cooking is not as good as a supermarket meal.

You're right. The supermarket curries (but only selected ones, like the two I mentioned) meet a convenience need for me. That's all. Would I serve up bought in dishes if I had people round for dinner? No way, although I know or suspect many people do. Another example is that I was treated to a meal in a gastro pub recently and the desserts were ?4.25. I had apple and blackberry pie, said to be home made and it was awful - devoid of flavour. Yesterday, I bought an 'Aunt Bessies' apple and blackberry pie for ?1.49 from LIDL and it was delicious. It was about 4x more pie too.

Offline string28

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 02:32 PM »
Well ive tried supermarket frozen curries....They truely are disgusting (IMO) (bland too much salt and very little in the way of what you call chicken or meat) and that is not me going over the top.
I cook my own chinese, thai and indian.
I wouldnt ever use  frozen or even jar made curries again because of two words.
Mass Produced.
Cooking your own curries from recpies will always be better then anything from a supermarket.
I will stick my neck and say by far i can and have cooked way better then anything in a supermarket and that is not because im a big head.
Its because i cook with everything fresh.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 03:24 PM by string28 »

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 04:06 PM »
I have to say that I make almost everything fresh at home...I've never had anything readymade from a supermarket that I couldn't do better at home...I have had some readymade stuff when need be but in those times I'm afraid I have to have Sainsbury's taste the difference - for me, you get what you pay for...but I'm lucky enough to have plenty of local farms to call on (better quality and cheaper than most supermarkets too)...I'd never buy meat from a supermarket unless I really, really have to. I like my meat well hung and not pumped full of water. Basically I use supermarkets for the things I can't get locally.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 04:22 PM »
I'm afraid I have to have Sainsbury's taste the difference - for me, you get what you pay for...

The only thing I tried in this range Domi was their quiche lorraine and it was the worst supermarket quiche I'd ever had. It put me off trying anything else.

Sainsbury's basics yoghurt however...yummy!

I like my meat well hung and not pumped full of water

I'm sure you're Finbarr Saunders incarnate!  ;D

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Well ive tried supermarket frozen curries....They truely are disgusting

But that's not what this thread is about or, at least started off on. The products I recommended are chilled food (not frozen) and there's quite a difference.

©2024 Curry Recipes