Author Topic: 11,859 members - where are they?  (Read 21270 times)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: 11,859 members - where are they?
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 06:20 PM »

I can think of a few current members it might apply to though (and, no, I don't necessarily mean me)  ;)

Give it a rest, CA, it's really quite boring now. you're beginning to come across as someone with mental health problems. it's time to move on rather than continue to insult and cause argument only making yourself look like a petty-minded fool.

Culling zero posters wouldn't exactly be beneficial, but it doesn't look good that out of 11,000+ members there are so few posting....and you're going out of your way to get those who DO post to stop...that's not beneficial to the forum at all, is it, Ca??

Nice one Domi....and you think I have "mental health problems", am "argumentative" and "insulting" and look like a "petty minded fool"  ::)

Yes, I would prefer some members (three, to be specific) to stop posting..as you say, it is "boring now" after all.... ::)

So, apart from your personal insults, you see absoltely NO benefit to the forum from "culling" members?  Apart from "it doesn't look good"?   :o 

Why even bother to suggest it then?  :-\

I believe someone else mentioned the "culling" or deleting, CA...I was merely adding to the debate. ;D

I don't understand why getting rid of the zero posting, non-participating members who haven't logged into the forum for a number of months/years adds anything to the forum, could you explain the rationale of keeping what is generally referred to as "dead members"  - most forums prune their members it's a common practice, CA.  ::)

Offline string28

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2010, 07:04 PM »
Well sounds a bit harsh! I mean why delete numbers?
Its healthy to see so many members keeps a record of whos signed up.
Plus makes others want to sign up when you see so many members.
Means a good forum with 11,859 members!
I dont see any problems with keeping members names no matter how long theve not logged on.

I can think of a few current members it might apply to though (and, no, I don't necessarily mean me)  ;)

Give it a rest, CA, it's really quite boring now. you're beginning to come across as someone with mental health problems. it's time to move on rather than continue to insult and cause argument only making yourself look like a petty-minded fool.

Culling zero posters wouldn't exactly be beneficial, but it doesn't look good that out of 11,000+ members there are so few posting....and you're going out of your way to get those who DO post to stop...that's not beneficial to the forum at all, is it, Ca??

Nice one Domi....and you think I have "mental health problems", am "argumentative" and "insulting" and look like a "petty minded fool"  ::)

Yes, I would prefer some members (three, to be specific) to stop posting..as you say, it is "boring now" after all.... ::)

So, apart from your personal insults, you see absoltely NO benefit to the forum from "culling" members?  Apart from "it doesn't look good"?   :o 

Why even bother to suggest it then?  :-\

I believe someone else mentioned the "culling" or deleting, CA...I was merely adding to the debate. ;D

I don't understand why getting rid of the zero posting, non-participating members who haven't logged into the forum for a number of months/years adds anything to the forum, could you explain the rationale of keeping what is generally referred to as "dead members"  - most forums prune their members it's a common practice, CA.  ::)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2010, 08:29 PM »
I could argue that having 11,000+ non-participating members on a forum that actually requires you to join to see the recipes rather shows the opposite, string....it means that around 11,000 people signed up, had a look, thought it crap and never returned....do you catch my drift? I'm not implying that that IS the reason, but it's the very reason that alot of boards prune "dead members". So in that respect, no, it doesn't look good...there's a saying which is used alot in the world of forums (or fora lol) better a forum with 50 active members than 5000 inactive ones :/  ::)

Active members count, dead members don't.....posts on the board make it look busy - there's no point hanging on to a member who's been on the board for 6 months to a year and never posted at all (not even a "Hi!". If they can't even be arsed to post a thank you, are they worth keeping? If they don't want their membership deleting, they'll either post or re-register and then post to keep their account active. Again, it's a very common practice ::)

« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 08:45 PM by Domi »

Offline string28

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2010, 08:38 PM »
Domi i might agree if i hadnt owned my own forum site.
The truth numbers makes a forum and deleting members is just not logical.
People who take the time to sign up and then dont sign in for a while shouldnt be deleted.
over 11,000 people signed up and to me that shouldnt be rubbed out because it shows the success of the site.
So i have to disagree with you on the point about numbers.
I could argue that having 11,000+ non-participating members on a forum that actually requires you to join to see the recipes rather shows the opposite, string....it means that around 11,000 people signed up, had a look, thought it crap and never returned....do you catch my drift? I'm not implying that that IS the reason, but it's the very reason that alot of boards prune "dead members". So in that respect, no, it doesn't look good...there's a saying which is used alot in the world of forums (or fora lol) better a forum with 50 active members than 5000 inactive ones :/

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2010, 08:48 PM »

No, active members make a forum. Numbers just make impressive, if misleading, reading!

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2010, 08:48 PM »
Numbers do not make a forum...members do...active posting members make a forum. "lurkers" "leechers" and "Dead members" bring nothing and do nothing. Never have, never will. ;D

Offline string28

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2010, 08:55 PM »
Thats in your opinion.
I guess msn and yahoo and all the other big companies have got it wrong then.
I mean lets see i sign up with my name string28 dont sign in for about 6 months because im away.
My account gets deleted lose my username because some else might sign up with it and then we get all the problems of emails from people saying.
Why you delete my account i had messages save i had my username now someone else has it.
See the problems
Again numbers are good.
Numbers do not make a forum...members do...active posting members make a forum. "lurkers" "leechers" and "Dead members" bring nothing and do nothing. Never have, never will. ;D

Offline string28

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2010, 08:59 PM »
Well they are active is they signed up.
You have to press on the active link when you sign up so they must of actived it.
If not then you delete the ones who are not active.
But to delete members who signed up and never post or dont sign in for a while just wont work and would in the end cause more problems then the owner and admins need.

No, active members make a forum. Numbers just make impressive, if misleading, reading!

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2010, 09:08 PM »
MSN and Yahoo aren't forums, string...it's a completely different thing altogether. ::)

I'm not talking about deleting members who have posted and become inactive, I'm talking about the ones who have NEVER posted and never logged back into the forum for a number of months/years...and it doesn't cause problems as there's a button to click on the admin control panel to delete inactive members or members with a postcount of zero or a particular specified number....Owning and running your own forum/site, you really ought to have known that, string. :-\ Which forum software did you use? I've owned and admin'd and staffed on a wealth of boards (still do on many) and all have that option. :-\ It's certainly no problem to delete them lol ;D

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2010, 10:27 PM »
around 11,000 people signed up, had a look, thought it crap and never returned....

Did they? Did anywhere near 11,000 people really sign up? I somehow doubt it. If this was a business up for sale, the least one would need is a bit of due diligence!

©2024 Curry Recipes