Author Topic: mustard  (Read 5636 times)

Offline remymartin

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
mustard
« on: September 09, 2005, 10:09 PM »
Hi all im a newby here but i spotted something unusual at my local curry house the other night, there was a packet of colemans english mustard powder in the kitchen, when i questioned the chef about it, in broken english and with a smile he said its his snuff, due to my rather inebriated state i did not probe any deeper as to what they used it for any ideas?

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: mustard
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 01:07 PM »
Hi,

I can't quite figure out where I have seen Mustard Powder used in a curry but I certainly have seen it in a recipe. It was for a vindaloo I think and maybe a Pat Chapman recipe but can't be sure. I don't think it gets used much if at all. Maybe they put it on their Roast Beef and Yorkshire puds, if they know the best use for it!!

Ray

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 03:15 PM »
Thats it! I knew I had bought mustard powder for something curry related, it is in one of Pat's spice mixtures

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 07:29 PM »
Hi all,

I've posted this comment before, but little notice was taken of it as tends to be the norm on this site when it doesn't fit in with the supposed 99% correct curries some people say they produce.  A local supplier to the Indian restaurant trade sells Mustard powder in something like Kilo containers.  When I asked the guy there if the restaurants buy it and what do they use it for? He said yes they use it in the curries,

cheers all,

Blondie

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 07:46 PM »
Has anyone actually tried it in a curry?

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 10:14 PM »
I know it has been used in curries somewhere, but I am not sure it is significant in all curries we make. I will try to dig it out if I can. I think you have a valid point Blondie and we all need to explore any angle we can as it might just prove to be the answer we are all after.

Ray G

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 05:30 AM »
I have both seen & used mustard powder used in a number of traditional curries and masala blends. It does tend to give the dish a bit of a " kick " .

CC

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 07:55 AM »
I've posted this comment before, but little notice was taken of it as tends to be the norm on this site when it doesn't fit in with the supposed 99% correct curries some people say they produce.?
Hi Blondie,

I don't think this is the case here at all, I think most of us are really interested when someone comes up with a new take on things.

cheers

Mark

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 09:16 AM »
? A local supplier to the Indian restaurant trade sells Mustard powder in something like Kilo containers.?
Blondie
Here's Pat Chapmans curry powder recipe with mustard
60g coriander
30g cummin seds
20g fenugreek seeds
25g gram flour
25g garlic powder
20g paprika
20g turmeric
20 garam masala
5g dry curry leaves
5g asafoetida
5g ginger powder
5g ground black pepper

wait for it

5g yellow mustard powder

I can't find any recipes using it, apart from this.
There are recipes using whole mustard seeds
You fry them til they pop
Used in Okra curry (bhindi bhaji) shredded cabbage curry, potato in tandoori sauce, lemon rice, rice with lentils,tarka dhall (recipes from Pat Chapman favourite restaurants cook book)
I thought they might be an important missing ingredient, but couldn't figure it out.
I also considered mustard oil as another special ingredient too
But coming back to the original idea of mustard powder
I have no idea how they use it
But a major ingredient in mustard powder is turmeric

I've just done an internet search and found this
But the amounts used are small

http://www.catshill.com/laniosh/food/balti2.htm
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 12:20 PM by pete »

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 12:18 PM »
Have trawled Pat Chapman's books and found Mustard Powder used in two books.

Like Pete points out it is used in "masala's" and not directly in specific curries. In his "Vindaloo and Other Hot Curries" book he makes a "Hot Curry Paste" which gets used in the more fiery recipes, Vindaloo, Chilli etc. It is not used in large quantities so will no doubt give a more subtle taste to the overall dish. In his "Curry Bible" he uses it in Curry Masala paste which then goes into his version of a "Curry Masala Gravy" used in his "restaurant style" curries. Don't know if anyone wants to have a bash at this, if so I can post

Regards

Ray

©2024 Curry Recipes