Author Topic: Maliks last nights takeaway  (Read 5864 times)

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Maliks last nights takeaway
« on: May 16, 2010, 01:01 PM »
Well I finally managed to taste a Malik's takeaway.

^^^ Chicken Tikka Starter ^^^

^^^ Bombay Potato Starter ^^^

^^^ chicken Tikka Bhuna ^^^

^^^ Chicken Tikka Masala ^^^

^^^ Keema Naan ^^^

^^^ Complete Meal ^^^

I feel a bit bad giving my opinion as the Maliks videos have been so helpful in the past to us but anyway here goes,

We ordered and behind the counter there was a plasma screen showing the food being prepared, the cost was ?21.95 unfortunately it should have included a plain naan as well but that was missing, so we rang up to complain and they gave us a  code number over the phone for a 10% discount next time (won't be cashing that in unfortunately)

The tikka and bombay potato starters were very tasty but the bhuna was tasteless with not enough onion, the CTM was a big disappointment it was full of artificial colour and so sugary sweet that we couldn't eat it.

The keema naan although it looked a bit ropey was very tasty and the keema filling was spilling out but tasted as it should.

All in all I wouldn't go back as it was well under par for the cost  :( a complete waste of 22quid   IMHO

I just wish I didn't have to be so harsh  :-X but thats just how it was unfortunately  :o

Rob.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Maliks last nights takeaway
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 01:55 PM »
Hi Rob,

I think it's a fair enough critique.  In the words of the famous Roy Walker, "Say what you see, if you see it, say it"

But, before you rule it out altogether, It may just be worth giving it another go, even if just to confirm your first impressions?

It could have been a different chef, the time of your order could have played it's part also?

Ray :)

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 02:41 PM »
Fair point Ray, even top rate BIR's can have their off days  :(  but I must say it must have been a really bad off day as I can eat most things Indian usually.

I'll see if I can get my lad to use the discount and order a couple of hot dishes for comparison but i'm not holding my breath  ;)

Rob.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 02:48 PM »
Hi Rob,

You never know mate, it just might be worth another go.

The BIR I use mostly for instance, when it's good, it's really really good, but a lot of the time, it's just average.  It's a shame it's not more consistant.  Which just goes to show, nevermind us having our off days, the BIR's do too!

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 05:24 PM »
There's no doubting they use alot of colouring, both the Tikka and the Masala have more crimson than a Ferrari! Even the Keema Naan looked to be over the top, though those foil bags are the worst thing ever for Naan.

I had trouble identifying the Bombay Potato having to rely on the title below. The one dish I thought looked nice was the Bhuna, just goes to show that looks can be deceiving.

I know BIR's have off day's but it is in their interest to ensure they don't. I certainly wouldn't order again based on that report.

At least it didn't look too runny like alot of these new TA's.

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 07:16 PM »
Just an after thought the measures are a bit mean if you look closely at the bhuna & ctm foil containers they are nowhere near full.

My locals the 'Kohi-noor' and 'naj-moon' always fill up to the top and their food is excellent, we moan its a bad night if there's not enough almonds in the masala and don't get free poppadums  ::)

Rob.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 07:54 PM »
On that note and this is s side issue. I've been looking for a natural red food color. I've come across Betanin which is dried beetroot powder. Has anyone tried this? On further reading I found that even this is susceptible to heat and will change color.

Yes the portion sizes do look very low. I get that here sometimes too. Nice pics though, thanks for sharing. 

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 08:44 PM »
I've found  much to my chagrin that curries as red as that CTM unfortunately leave my backside a similar hue the next day - and it aint down to the food colouring either :o :(

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 09:06 PM »
I don't mean to be nasty but I never thought that Malik's was going to be all that. Watching what they were up to taking into mind the knowledge available here I remember thinking at the time that it looked like an average place.

I've had take aways that look amazing out of the box and Malik's attempt is just lackluster.

Would it be fair to suggest that if they were popular for their good cooking that they wouldn't need gimmicks like chef webcams? Surely that was just to drum up business.

On another note however, look at their rice. Notice the feint greens and reds in it. I can't achieve this, yet I get it from many takeaways. I've tried powder and liquid colourings. I've tried diluting them down with water. I can't get it right. My next port of call is to buy a dropper like from Chemistry classes at school and use it to place discrete droplets of diluted powder colour on the rice. Does anyone know how the BIRs do it? Probably one worth asking because I'm sure they'd give that away!

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 09:28 PM »
Hi BB,

I think the dropper technique would be the way forward.  I use the KD Method, diluting 1/2 tsp red and yellow food colouring (powdered) and running a line of each through the rice before it goes in the oven.  The outcome when mixed is far from subtle though.

To achieve what I think it is that your after, you would literally have to do just one drop of each colour, then lock in the colour in the oven, I guess.

©2024 Curry Recipes