Author Topic: Maliks last nights takeaway  (Read 5865 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Maliks last nights takeaway
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 09:42 PM »
To achieve what I think it is that your after, you would literally have to do just one drop of each colour, then lock in the colour in the oven, I guess.

Hey Ray, thanks for your input. Those are my thoughts exactly. I somehow doubt that BIRs are using droppers though... Seems a little clinical.

Can someone ask their local who does similar rice? All my locals round here are crap.

I'm wandering off topic here. I'll start a new thread. Let's get back on track before an angry moderator throws their weight around :P

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 09:49 PM »
Hi BB,

My local TA does do a similar looking rice, maybe just a tad more colourful, but not too much.

You dont think that they would do 2 smaller portions of coloured rice then add a spoonfull into the main rice do you?  I can't see them using a dropper either, they probably use a massive chef's spoon and just let one drop drip off it into the rice lol ;D

Ray ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 07:25 AM »
canicant,

i'm real pleased u managed a trip there - it's put my mind at rest as i've been trying to get my timings so i could call in but it's not worked so far.

u're report actually sits well with me and putt's a bit of the jigsaw in the right orientation - when u analyse the malik video in terms of patterns there is no consistency to almost any dish. i had intended copy catting to try and make more sense on what was baffling. now many thanks to yourself i know the answer.

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 10:39 AM »
I had a similar problem Jerry, the only chance we had of trying a Maliks curry was when visiting my  son and as they don't open until later in the day I had to wait until we could stop over.

It was without doubt a poor curry but I wonder if when we're looking for the holy grail if we don't all judge from different starting points.
If anyone tried my local which I think serves the best food ever, I wonder if others would agree and while Maliks was not good, if that was the first time I had eaten indian food perhaps that (God forbid) would be THE taste that got set in my mind if you see what I mean.

In other words I know where my goals are as do all of you and I know for sure that when I taste a recipe that meets those ideals I won't want to stop trying different recipes as your favourite might be superior to mine ;)

I hate curry  ??? like drink it makes me waffle  :-X

Rob.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 10:52 AM »
I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that that as a community we share many different opinions of what is a good curry (in the general sense). Comments about how the Bhuna is not filled to the rim demonstrates this, as my reaction to the picture was, it looks good and isn't swimming in a runny gravy.

But I would have to agree with the comments on this restaurant being a typical 'run of the mill' place. Based mostly on the video's and webcam I have watched and now this review.

Bobby, you don't need a pipette to do this, use a small drinking straw. Simply stand the straw in the colouring solution, place your finger over the other end. To release a single drop, gently roll your finger to allow just a small amount of air into the straw to create a droplet at the bottom of the straw. Job done.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 10:57 AM »
Well I finally managed to taste a Malik's takeaway.

At last. You're a star to take the time and trouble to visit that place and report back. My worst fears have been realised that we can sometimes become over-enthusiastic about techniques and ingredients being used, before we even know if the end result is much cop.

Does anyone live near Penrith?

©2024 Curry Recipes