Author Topic: A different Bruce Edwards Base sauce  (Read 4530 times)

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
A different Bruce Edwards Base sauce
« on: September 11, 2005, 05:50 PM »
I have found in a Pat Chapman book called "Vindaloo and other Hot Curries" a modified base sauce from Bruce Edwards. Find it attached below. The book was published in 1993.
It makes about half the quantity Bruce's original recipe makes and has slightly different ingredients and quantities.
It is interesting it uses Mooli or White Radish (something that has been recently mentioned on the site). The other odd ingredient is 1/2 pint of Milk.
I haven't quite worked out if the spicing is the same as the original but it gives equal quantities of each except the Ajwain which is less than in the original. I am not sure what he means by Aromatic Curry Powder but will assume a good quality powder with more of the aromatic spices in it. The book goes on to give recipes using this base. It has Meat/Prawn/Chicken Vindaloo. Phal, Madras, Hot Dhansak, Hot and Sweet Patia. I will try to get some of these typed up and on the site soon.

Ray

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: A different Bruce Edwards Base sauce
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 05:29 PM »
Hi Ray,

Does Mr Chapman say who & why the Bruce Edwards Base had been altered? Is it used as the base throughout the book? Are the base and other recipes in the book any good?
And lastly could you please, when you get time post the Madras recipe,

Thanks Ray,

Blondie

Offline vin daloo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 06:39 PM »
I tried the original recipe and it was very nice - i think i spoilt it by cooking it for too long though as it lost the amazing smell that came off it while it was cooking.  Personally id stay away from the pat chapman modified stuff cos judgin by his books he knows nothin.  probably the aromatic curry powder thing is something he invented.

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 06:44 PM »
Milk in it?
That's unusual
He does do a recipe in his first book. supplied by Ivan Watson using milk
I must try this
Cheers Ray!

Here's the old one:-

Pakistani Curry Gravy

1 cup milk
6 tablespoons veg oil
14 oz tin toms strained
1 teaspoon sugar
salt

Spices 1
1 teaspoon chilli powder
4 teaspoon coriander powder
3 teaspoon turmeric
4 teaspoon garlic powder (very important to use powder, fresh gives a totally different flavour)

Spices 2
4 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon dry fenugreek leaves

Mix spices 1 with a little of the milk to a paste
Heat oil on low
Add the paste and fry for two minutes (keep stirring)
Take off heat
Liquidise toms and stir in to paste
Return it to heat
Add sugar , salt and remaining milk, stirring continuously
When solids start to seperate from oil add spices 2
Add precooked meats, chicken or veg
Heat thoroughly through

This is a quick and very tasty curry

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 06:49 PM »
Personally id stay away from the pat chapman modified stuff cos judgin by his books he knows nothin.  probably the aromatic curry powder thing is something he invented.

I think you're probably right. With a slight (even retrograde) modification to the old recipes and a different title for a new book, he could be bringing in a steady stream of income for years.

Regards
George

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 07:00 PM »
Hi All,

The reason I asked the question who had and why the Bruce Edwards base sauce recipe had been modified was that maybe it was a modification made by Bruce Edwards himself, meaning that it may actually be an improvment,

cheers all,

Blondie

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 10:46 PM »
Hi Blondie,

Mr Chapman does not say why the base sauce is modified. Goodness knows why the Milk!!!???
He only say's it is a modification of a recipe by the "Super Sleuth" Bruce Edwards. There are no other base sauce recipes in the book at all.
I am just on with typing the restaurant style recipe section out of the book for all to see which has about six different choices of which your Madras is one.
Bear with me a day or two cos it is a lot of typing. Most recipes are very similar with the main methods being the same, just different amounts of spice, the odd addition of peppers and other little tweaks to arrive at the final dish.

Keep looking

Regards

Ray G

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 06:40 AM »
Hi Ray,

Thanks for all your efforts. I look forward to reading the Madras recipe, in particular, that goes with this modified brucee base,

Thanks,

Blondie

©2024 Curry Recipes