Author Topic: My 99.9% Vindaloo Clone  (Read 25948 times)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: MY 99.9% Clone (Vindalloo)
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2005, 10:47 AM »
I will be making this 15 Onion base & Vindalloo again over Christmas hols..  so i will post anything new or any alterations.
I will be also making the 100% correct Madras & will also post any findings.
Yours DARTHPHALL..... 8).....

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2005, 07:54 PM »
Done a comparison today & this (99.9%) recipe is staggeringly close to my local Vindalloo, even got the little pieces of Chicken from the water i cooked it in which i put in the Curry !!  You know, the first recipe on this thread that has "2 large Ladles of water from cooked chicken" in it.
And i`ve got a really crazy theory about what the smell is that we all love,the lovely savory smell that emanates from most good BIR Curries, something akin to flavor enhancer , but not that if you know what i mean.
As Ive pre-posted i`ll be cooking a full batch over the Christmas holidays & i will put my theory to the test & post my findings & as usuall i will make loads of notes in my Curry log (DARTH "Sad Bastard" PHALL) as i go through the whole cooking process.
 ;)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2005, 08:43 PM »
Another thing i must point out.It is very obvious that my local uses very little Oil & after buying just plain Base Gravy the Kd recipe is not used but the one they told me to use,so they were telling the truth  :), there is just too much flavor for the bland Kd base to play any part in my locals recipes (although the second phase of the Vindalloo in his book Restaurant Curry Secrets is possible if added to this threads base recipe).
Hope this is of interest to the few that use this recipe. ;)
DARTHPHALL

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2005, 08:46 PM »
One last thing (Sorry ::)), their cooked Chicken is not as good as my quick lo heat method, their Chicken is more of a solid block of meat as opposed to my melt in the mouth method  ;D.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2005, 05:28 PM »
Here is a quick update. ;D.
I made three Curries this weekend as i now suspect the only missing ingredient is a flavor enhancer of some kind....
I`ve tried Maggi Liquid Seasoning (Close !!).
This 99.9% recipe is deffinately the way to go for my quest as i think my local BIR makes a slightly upmarket/individual Vindallo/Tindalloo (the Chef is proud of his recipe) no Viniger & nooooo Lemon juice in my Vindalloo !!!!!!!!  >:(.
I also believe them when they told me the recipe for the base.The second stage is bits from them & what ive gleened from books ,experimentation & of course this site.
I`m thinking if it is a flavor enhancer that is missing then a simple spice mix for the second stage is probaly all thats needed.
They do use the water the Chicken is cooked in, but oddly enough only in their Vindalloo/Tindalloo, the bits in it are unmistakable.
Hope this is of interest (is there anyone there ?...No.. well its your loss  ;)).

Merry Christmas..... DARTHPHALL..... 8)..... 

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2005, 06:59 PM »
I would love to try this, trouble is my missus cant eat madras or vindaloo strength curries, it will have to be when just cooking for me  ;D

And arent the chef smilies great  :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2005, 07:03 PM »
Just lower the Chili powder & you will be surprised how versatile this recipe is.

Yes they are great  ;D ;D :D :D :D :P :P ;) ;) WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!

Offline John

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2005, 07:21 PM »
Hi Darth,
What size pot do you use for this recipe? I've just bought a stock pot from asda to try your recipe, just wondering if it'll fit.....

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2005, 07:41 PM »
Don't worry i do it in two !!
Just mix it all up then split, remember its the second stage were the spices are added thats the important part with the old margin for error comes into it.
I make a 3 bag second stage (see recipe), then by adding the Passata you get enough sauce so small errors are not noticeable.
Please do let me know what you thought of it & how close it is to your local etc..
Seasons Greetings DARTH.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2005, 08:59 PM »
Darth, Id like to try this, have you tried scaling it down, like to about a third?

©2024 Curry Recipes