Author Topic: Rick Stein's Bradford Curry  (Read 13143 times)

Offline michaelpratt

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Rick Stein's Bradford Curry
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 10:01 PM »
A couple of points  -

The taste we are all looking for is different from person to person dependent on their upbringing. All my locals are Kashmiri Pakistani or Punjabi. Most of Britain is Bangladeshi it seems to me.

Dry curries are still curries as we know them. The sauce / gravy is not a pre-requisite.

Going back to a comment above, all I thought was that if we are all looking for different styles (there is not, nor ever has been, a standard British curry) that adding rooms or threads to encompass Pakistani (or Nepalese for instance) British restaurant cuisine might diversify the site a bit and encourage more contibutors and more recipe sharing.

There hasn't been a lot of us today really, and still less recipes.

Mike

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 10:27 PM »
Mike,

So if I've understood you correct, what you are actually asking for, are specific 'British Pakistan Restaurant' BPR, or Nepalese BNR recipes and so on??

If that is the case, then yes, I take your point :D

Ray :)

Offline michaelpratt

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 07:18 AM »
Yes Ray

I was rambling a bit but you got the core of my thoughts.

The Rick Stein / Karachi curry is genuine restaurant food - with a back story and the same Anglicisation of the more common curry type. It is just of a different (though the most common round here) style.

Surely it has a place??

Mike

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 07:34 AM »
i think this Rick/Karachi is a long standing relationship. it's also down to u're own taste buds. a good few years ago following a Rick programme i made the dish and even went to the place - i've never done either a 2nd time.

i'm not knocking BPR etc but they are very different in taste to what most people would expect as BIR.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 06:28 PM »
Mike,Jerry

My favourate TA is Pakistani run and the food is great.  They even have a large selection of Afghan dishes which I haven't tried but I've heard that they are really good.  With that said, I still prefer the 80's Bangladeshi style BIR curry, because that's all we had.  Pakistani and Punjabi restaurants are quite rare where I live so, Bangladeshi, is what I'm used to.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 07:27 PM »
Razor,

u've hit it on the head - it's what u're used to.

when we started eating curry in the midlands we could not believe how good it was. did not spend much time but we also contemplated if it could be better anywhere else in the UK. bradford came up top in the discussion.

when i moved to the north west bradford became an option and i tried it twice - both were no good. i know it can't be down to chance either as on the 2nd trip we went to a place with a friend who'd been a student in Bradford and another good friend who's Indian.

one good thing was the tetley beer - could not believe how good it was c/w with that brewed in warrington. rumour had it that it was only down to the water.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 08:03 PM »
Jerry,

That's uncanny because we've had similar conversation round our way, and Brum came top of our wish list, lol

I think it's fair to say though, we probably all believe our own region has the best BIR's in the land.  I know the brummies and Glaswegians are proud of theirs, as are the Mancs and the Cockneys.  That's what makes this style of food so facinating.

Offline michaelpratt

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 08:18 PM »
We appear to be close to a coalition of those that celebrate liberalism and those that appreciate traditionalism in restaurant cooking.

Long may it last.

We just need the Queen's Speech!!

Mike

©2024 Curry Recipes