Author Topic: Virus/Tojan Help Please!!!  (Read 14867 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Virus/Tojan Help Please!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 04:12 PM »
I use AVG (Its free) and Superantispyware - also free and will get everything! They keep everything running smootly enough.

If you still have problems you can use Windows Restore to roll back your PC to the state it was in before the Virus was infected. It has saves my ass a lot of times. Just google it and you will get an easy to follow guide.

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 04:18 PM »
Hi

Sadly chriswig the one that I picked up came through the free products and also disabled my restore option and my add/remove software.

Regards

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 06:14 PM »
Chris, i've heard the superantispyware is quite good and seems to be well thought of.  The general consensus on this new trojan is that Superantispyware as well as all the others mentioned so far, are unable to remove it.

I don't know how it got past McAfee but it it has. ESET has fixed 1 of the two reports but userinit.exe still remains affected and un-repaired.

I have given up for today but will be spending another day on it tomorrow. I hope there is a resolve other than restoring the OS.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 06:48 PM »
I have given up for today but will be spending another day on it tomorrow. I hope there is a resolve other than restoring the OS.

That's what I mean - hours of effort and you may still not succeed, whereas full restoration from a backup would have taken about 15 minutes. Windows Restore is a complete waste of time, also, in my experience.

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 08:41 PM »
I use Avira Antivirus(luke filewalker).
Spybot also, plus Za using its antispyware program, plus the best thing ive used sofar is Deleting IE and installing firefox, also using all of its security features.
All the above are free-ware.
I deleted avg as i caught a virus with it running.
I bought and paid for mcaffee a few years back and similarly caught a vrus with that running.
Norton systemworks is good all round defence.
The worst virus i ever caught was called windows defender or security suite or something, made a real good job of destroying windows xp, much like Chris's comments above, got rid of add/remove and made the os unusable, i had to reformat.
Moosoft the cleaner is a very good free trojun remover.
Of course all of the above are only usable in hindsight if your browser hasn't been hijacked, which is what a good trojun will do.

Offline Chilli

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 01:24 AM »
Hi,  I know exactly how you feel, spending hours trying to get the pc back to normal.

I have used Mcafee in the past and there tech guy told me to download the latest sdat file and scan in dos. Did the trick but takes hours scanning.

After that performance binned Mcafee and now use the free AVG and Spybot. No problems up to now, fingers crossed.  ;)

Chilli

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 08:02 AM »
Sounds like a real stinker Axe. If you can get the PC to boot into safe mode it should come up with an option while booting up to either start in safe mode or run system restore wizard. If the virus has disabled it in full Windows you might still be able to get it working this way.

Offline michaelpratt

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 09:51 AM »
Simple solution, buy a mac.

Happy mac user
Mike

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 05:43 PM »
Okay, I don't want to count my chickens before they've hatched but, I think I might have cured the problem or rather my brother has.

He did a search on the TDL3 root kit and found a link to Kaspersky who have a TDSSKiller, what ever that is. I have run this and it removed 3 reported problems. I was a little worried as the instructions said I wouldn't have to reboot, but the program asked me to do so. Well I did and all seems okay so far.

Firefox is running okay, so too is Opera which I installed to see if I could get round the virus. No pages have opened up on their own and searches in Google are behaving normally now. My network is now stable and I have not experinced any further spurious Network activity.

If anyone needs the link, give me a shout and I 'll dig it out.

So far so good and with no reboot, system restore or incompatible MAC. :P

Just kidding, thanks for all the help, I hope I haven't tempted fate.

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 06:30 PM »
Hi
Axe, good news.
Regards

©2024 Curry Recipes